The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting headwear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post

They're just called a Balmoral, true that they are generally worn sloped, the side with the badge being more straight up, the side away from the badge sloping down.

Glengarryhats is fine if you want a Pakistani-made bonnet. I prefer Scottish-made things so I get my Robert Mackie bonnets from J Higgins.
    Thank you! As you can tell, I know little about the types of traditional headwear, and nothing about that particular web site. I prefer Higgins - have bought most of my piping clothing from them, including custom kilts, and they have been nothing but wonderful - but I didn't know that any balmoral has or can have that slope. That being the case, I would prefer the quality of a Robert Mackie and the service of Higgins.
    Eddie
    "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

Originally posted by piper909 View Post
      Does nobody wear a balmoral anymore? Has the glengarry become THAT much of a rigid uniform? I've always preferred the balmoral bonnet when I have a choice, it's just more of a traditional Scots bonnet. I am here in competition a dozen years ago -- https://vgy.me/u/uaJfOL
      Check out that man's sporran in the pic.....
      Don't take life seriously! You'll never get out of it alive!

Comment

That's my fox-skin sporran from a now-defunct North American maker whose name escapes me at the moment; custom made in 2001 to be extra-large for travel, extra capacity for picnics and rambling and whatnot. What struck you most about it? I haven't worn it much in recent years. Perhaps it's declasse now or something. I DO regret the sacrifice of the fox. I wouldn't buy such again nowadays, I'm more conflicted, but at the time, we seemed to have a sort of "fox magic"/totemism around where we lived. It was a mark of respect in my then attitude.

Comment

I recall back in the 70s and early 80 wearing mostly Balmorals at competitions, in fact I know i have my first Balmoral still stored somewhere in the house. It seems that it was after that, the Glengarry came into "fashion" and currenly is the rage. But who knows that could change,.
          Practice Hard, win easy!
          Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
          Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by classicbagpipes View Post
            I recall back in the 70s and early 80 wearing mostly Balmorals at competitions, in fact I know i have my first Balmoral still stored somewhere in the house. It seems that it was after that, the Glengarry came into "fashion" and currenly is the rage. But who knows that could change,.
            Bruce used to say Glens are for younger guys and a Balmoral looks better on an older face. I recently realized my face has aged into Balmoral territory.
            Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Massed bands 1970s.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow....white mouthpieces....thankfully gone...
                Prince Charlie jackets....thankfully almost gone...

Comment

Hmm... Just and purely... as a simple matter... of personal preference...
                  and of choice... I have always preferred... and almost always wear... the
                  Balmoral-Tam-Beret type of headgear.

The glens... were "okay"... when ever required by the bands in which I
                  have played... but... and on my own... those "others"... I thought then...
                  and think now... simply looked better... and certainly gave more... shade
                  in the sun... and warmth in the winter... than the glens... :-)

But... and as always... "To Each His Own"... :-)

My friends all know,
                  With what a brave carouse...

Comment

I wore a Glen for band work, but a Balmoral for solo comps and gig work. I never found either any good at all for shading the face from the sun. God forbid we would wear a hat with a bill (ie: baseball, golf, tennis, everyday wear). As soon as we walked off the circle and back into the band tent, the Glens came off and "baseball" hats came out, in the blistering Midwest summer sun.
                    Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.
                    Yoda

Comment

Black straw beret with a torie sewn atop as cool summer balmoral option? il_794xN.1631291352_e6hb.jpg
                      “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Working...
                      X