The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

resources on how to march

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resources on how to march

Do any of you know of resources (print/video/etc) on how to march as a group? Each year when our band starts practicing in the local park, I wonder if there is a way to get us all to share one vision of just how to do things. Our PM does a pretty good job but I think there could be more tips for how to tidy things up and give a sharper look. I'm thinking specifically of how to turn corners: how to visualize our trajectory, how to alter the strides of the inside/outside people, etc. I'm sure there are other pointers that could be useful. What do you all suggest? Thanks in advance!!

Google "Queen's Own Highlanders Association Pipe Band" and look for videos of the 50th Reunion. Various videos include stopping in formation, turning, counter arching, etc. For detailed written instructions see GEPB DRILL 2004.pdf (glenerinpipeband.com).

Paul Hinson

Comment

This is where a Drum-Major with that kind of knowledge is worth their weight in gold. One who knows their drill, and also who knows that marching time for a part of 4/4 takes twice as long as a part of 4/4.

If you've got anyone with drill experience, having a twenty minute drill session every week for a while will pay dividends.

> specifically of how to turn corners

The crucial thing when wheeling is that you follow the person in front. Don't crab sideways so that your path swings wide of theirs. Make sure everyone in the band knows to do this. The person on the outside of the wheel controls the speed of the wheel; the person on the inside essentially ceases to move forwards, simply turning in line with the axis of their rank.
      http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
      -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by Calum;n1378698

> specifically of how to turn corners

The crucial thing when wheeling is that you [B
        follow the person in front.[/B] Don't crab sideways so that your path swings wide of theirs. Make sure everyone in the band knows to do this. The person on the outside of the wheel controls the speed of the wheel; the person on the inside essentially ceases to move forwards, simply turning in line with the axis of their rank.
        All the above;...the ( each) guy on the ‘inside’ file ( hence ..’rank and file’ terminology) must proceed firstly straight to the appropriate ‘spot’ of the roads intersection...then become the ‘hub’ of the spokes ( the ranks) of the wheel and mark time in place ...turning to allow each rank to rotate ( wheel) smoothly around until all squared up ( ‘dress right’) ...then step off again ( advance) ...on the Left foot .

what chaps me ...is displaying an outward curved arm swing that looks like they’re trying to punch something....rather than a relaxed straight arm forward up/down motion.

There are some top rate DM’s probably in everyone’s neck of the woods ( check out the games DM contests);..hire a guy to come to practice a few times to give the 3 D’s spiel....Dress-Drill-Deportment...

Comment

Watch your diagonals...

Comment

Great topic!

Now... monkey see... monkey do.

Two youtube films that comes to my mind are these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iyR...nnel=JimRamsay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_2...nnel=JimRamsay

In these movies you will find most of the kind tips mentioned above by our fellow forumites.

Diagonals, swinging of the arm, cutting of the arm, mark-time, shortening and lengthening of steps during wheeling, dressing, counter marches and much more.

If you could get your hands on the MoDīs The Drummerīs Handbook from 1985 or the MoDīs The Drill Manual from 1990 it might be of help.

As always - if you aim high in your ambitions, the result will probably be good enough until you reach the next plateau.

Hoping this will be of some help in your ambitions.

Mikolo

Last edited by Mikolo; 06-13-2022, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks, all!! I look forward to reading the pdf and have been enjoying the crisp marching in the videos. They are very instructive. We did have a DM for a short time and that made such a difference; alas, he has moved on. One thing I noticed was the crispness of the corners. Whoever we are to guide off of tends to cut the corners short rather than keeping a trajectory through the center of the corner. I will share this information and see if it helps. Again, thanks, all!!

Comment

It only requires... thoughtful dedication... and practice...
                over... and over... and over...

And that's where... the "dedication" part... comes in... :-)

My friends all know,
                With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Yes, indeed. However, I believe some bands have gone through The Ministry of Silly Walks!

Comment

Well... and Alas... all else failing... a simple adherence to...
                    "Left!... Right!... Left!... Right!"... should see you through... :-)

( Oh!!... Groan!!... Sorry!! ... Just couldn't help it!!) :-)

My friends all know,
                    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Working...
                    X