The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready for St Patrick's Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for St Patrick's Day?

Practicing for tomorrow's gigs, I thought to myself, "I wish I had the fingers I had at 40 and the confidence I had at 20."
    Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Aye!!

And a fine day... it shall be!! :-)

Trusting that All... shall have a roarin' grand time of it!! :-)
    My friends all know,
    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Indeed... with a couple of days to recover...

Comment

National Feast Days, Gibraltar, 1727–28

November 30. – To-day being St. Andrew, a Scottish gentleman, bearing the dignity of a sergeant, dressed in a Highland manner, viz., his plaid, blue bonnet, broadsword, dirk, target, and snuff-mull, made his appearance before Lord Portmore and had the liberty to have the bagpipes to attend him and his retinue in honour of the day. But some unlucky Welch wags, envying the gallantry of Sawney, dug a hole in a part of the town which covered the common sewer, which bonny Jocky had the good luck to descend into and marred his plaid and bonnet. This unlooked for accident spoiled the evening’s illuminations.’ [pp 16–17]

[1728]

March 1 … being also St. Taffy’s day we had great & drunken rejoicings among the noble race of Shinkin of the race of Owen Tudor.’ [p. 23]

March 17 being St Patrick’s day was celebrated by the shamrocks in a stately drunken manner.’ [p. 23]

‘Gibraltar under Siege, 1727’, in Sir John W. Fortescue, Following the drum (Edinburgh and London, 1931), pp 1–25.

The 25th Foot (Scottish Borderers) and the 26th Foot (Cameronians) were part of the British garrison during the second Spanish siege of Gibraltar, 11 February–12 June 1727. The ‘shamrocks’ would have been a detachment of 18th (Royal Irish) which subsequently arrived from Minorca as reinforcements.

Comment

After over 40 years of playing in crowded pubs, the attraction and fun have worn off. Yes, I enjoy the excitement of the crowd when we play; but now it's a drudge. I'd rather be home with a good book! (I know: Killjoy!).

Comment

And now... here we are... in the midst of it!! :-)

And as they say... on the pitch... "Might as well
            get tore in!!" :-)

Wishing for All... Good Playing... Good Times...
            and not too much... of a bad hangover... :-)

My friends all know,

Comment

Over the last 45 years I've done as many as six gigs on Saint Patrick's Day and as few as none.

My only gig today is one I've done for 20 years, a small house-party. I'm always there for two hours 7pm to 9pm.

I play the big pipes out in the back yard a couple times.

The rest of the time I sit in a corner of the living-room and rotate between uilleann pipes, Scottish smallpipes, and Irish whistles.

I don't have to drive far and I'm in bed by 10pm, not a bad way to end St Patrick's Day every year.

Truth be told I'd probably have more fun doing the Pipe Band's annual Pub Crawl tonight, but it's less money and a much further drive.
              proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I have an Irish Trad concert tonight alongside some top-level players. Playing "Irish" flute rather than my uilleann pipes. On the positive side, it's a lot less chaotic or loud than a pub gig. And it's unamplified, which means no load in or soundcheck. On the down side, I'm likely to be a lot more nervous. Should be a good time anyway.

Comment

Here's the flyer.
                  StPatsFlyer.jpg

Comment

I love that format, an unamplified session.

That's the natural habitat for Irish tradtional music, and it's the way the music is best heard.
                    proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

All in all, it was a good and profitable day. From 12:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. I went back and forth between a couple of local bars I've been working for over 30 years. Crowds were a bit sparse, but people were nice and definitely generous. It was cold and windy walking from car to the bars, but my pipes stayed in tune and reeds remained dry. MCS for the win! I was telling my tip can carrier what a pain the day used to be with changing out two or three sets of drone reeds and always worrying about things going out of tune.
                      Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Also amused at the bands out there celebrating "St Patty's Day" playing Scotland the Brave!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S03jq_pLBZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5r8qfySykE

Last edited by Texas Gael; 03-18-2023, 08:05 AM.

Comment

We had a good performance yesterday.
                          First Smallpipe and violin
                          Then...
                          Lowwhistle and violin.

Next time, we need an amplifier or that sort of thing.
                          There were quite many people...

Any suggestions for amplifier solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Gael

Also amused at the bands out there celebrating "St Patty's Day" playing Scotland the Brave!

Greetings... Texas Gael... and to All,

With my having played in two... very old... Irish Pipe Bands...
                            I can relate the following....

First... and as we all know... there are more than several
                            standard pipe tunes... that are known... by more than one
                            title.

In many Irish Pipe Bands... StB... is known as "Bonnie Lass."

Just yet another of the vagaries... in The Great Waltz About!! :-)

Regards to All,

Pip01

My friends all know,

Comment

We play a set with Minstrel Boy and Wearing O the Green...but you must hit them with some Scotland the Brave (usually on the way out) Cock o the North was popular too. After all, most think you are playing the same song!
                              Loud is Easy, Soft is Hard

Comment

Working...
                              X