The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is just plainly criminally fraudulent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is just plainly criminally fraudulent

http://cgi.ebay.com/IMMACULATE-SET-OF-D-...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is now over $1200!!! For fakes!!!

Perhaps the term 'Great Higland Bagpipes' can be controlled and issued as a trade mark to approved makers of GHBs in countries various - that way - if someone adverised their product as GHB's, and they were not authorised to do so, they'd be in breach of trademark laws. It seems to work for the French and the product known as Champaigne.
    They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist.....
    (Last words of General John Sedgwick, Battle of Spotsylvania, 1864)

Re: This is just plainly criminally fraudulent

And I'm lead to believe whisky is only scotch if its made in scotland - and stuff like suntory is not to be called scotch. (I've never drunk suntory - I like an Islay style whisky )

Comment

By French law, only sparkling wine made in the region of Champaigne can be called "Champaigne". Unfortunately, French laws do not apply to other countries and some unscrupulous "wine makers" have bastardized the term. The French have no control over the vineyards or winemakers of another country.

For the most part, vineyards making sparkling wines outside of Champaigne have labeled their wines as just that, "sparkling", citing Frexinet of Spain and Jacob's Creek of Australia as examples.

The same goes for the alleged scotches produced by mostly Japanese concerns, where more "scotch" is consumed than any other nation.

The appelation applies to other areas, such as "Bourbon" here in the US, where, by law, only whisky made in Bourbon County, Kentucky can be called "Bourbon". That is why Jack Daniel's, in any of it's forms, Old No. 7, Gentleman Jack, MAster's Blend, etc. is not called "bourbon", and is instead a Tennessee Whisky.

Now, to answer your question - Under which nation's laws is the appelation of Great Highland Bagpipe to be awarded, in which nation are the trademarks filed and fought and defended, and, which nation would hold court over the name?
      Retreat? Hell, I just got here!

Comment

Good questions - I'd pick Pakistan - hell, that's where most of the world's bagpipes are made, aren't they?

Only kidding - perhaps a concencus virtual group representing all the 'recognised' makers can be established - no need for a country then - and I'd have thought copywrite/trademark laws extend internationally - otherwsie, why have them? Clearly, I'm not trained in law (I'm an engineer) - perhaps someone with training in Law can shed some light on this.

Comment

By French law, only sparkling wine made in the region of Champaigne can be called "Champaigne". Unfortunately, French laws do not apply to other countries and some unscrupulous "wine makers" have bastardized the term. The French have no control over the vineyards or winemakers of another country.
          But there is control of the matter of food/drink names in the entire European Union, under European law, not French. Other countries that do business with France may adhere. The United States does indeed have an agreement on this matter with France/EC, and many American wine and food connoisseurs support the agreement. France (like the UK) is one of only 5 or 6 nations with a trillion-dollar-plus economy on the planet, and is, in fact, a food export giant with a huge and varied agriculture. Some rhetoric aside, French wishes cannot be ignored. Champagne and Roquefort are essentially both process, and region-of-origin based trade-names. Thus, "sparkling wine" and "blue cheese" only for that budget get-together. We must all tread caerphilly in the food and wine department, lest that champagne bottle is actually from Chateau Landfille.

Maybe an EC ruling could specify Highland Pipes according to location of manufacture, but better that an industry association give an imprimature. I just got a new student who bought Asian pipes off the net before calling me for lessons. He thought pipes were very rare, and figured he'd better grab them while he could at only $200. I had to tell him that those Asian firms are ready to ship by the container load.

But, before we get overly charged-up about what is personal to us (and I too dislike the fraud I see), note that an awful lot of sellers push the Asian pipes, who should know better. I've seen them for sale on the high streets of the Scottish capital!

Speaking of Asian instruments, I wonder how soon one would see rust around the spit-valve on a tenor sax? Could keep it hygienic with that Suntory : . Great prices--but no, the keys pads are probably done with chewed jute.

Comment

There's a thread already running on this latest fake Naill scam in T&I. As it's a duplicate thread that's been running longer, I'm locking this one.

It was started by Martin Cowell of David Naill Bagpipes. The thread also deals with the fake McCallums also currently on Ebay.
            As ever with Ebay, everything on there is a gamble. This forum has a good number of reputable dealers as sponsors. My advice would be, if you want to buy a good bagpipe, go to them first.
            Callander Pipe Band FB page Please click and "like". Thanks
            Lowland and Borders Piper's Society

Comment

Working...
            X