The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recommendation for summer/fall piping school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendation for summer/fall piping school

I was thinking of attending a piping school this summer and live in the Mid-Atlantic U.S. of A. Does anyone have any experience with schools in the area? Any recommendations?
    Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnaill!

Re: recommendation for summer/fall piping school

Balmoral school of piping is a 'travelin' school. Check their website to see if they're coming to your area
    http://www.bagpiping.org/calendar.htm

There's a school in NC that has many sessions all summer http://www.naapd.org/index.php

Comment

The National Piping Centre does one in Winchester, VA the week of June 22-27. It's a great time, very instructive, highly recommended.

Details here: http://www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/sch...doah-virginia/
      The Keydet Piper Blog

Comment

I've been to NAAPD several times. Can't say enough good stuff about it. Lots of fun and great piping and drumming.

Comment

Originally posted by keydetpiper
          The National Piping Centre does one in Winchester, VA the week of June 22-27. It's a great time, very instructive, highly recommended.

Details here: http://www.thepipingcentre.co.uk/sch...doah-virginia/
          For the first time this year, the NPC is also offering the school in Atlanta. Check the website for details.
          Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked up into jet engines.

Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure!

Comment

NAAPD does look strong - but West Va. is a real hike.

Comment

Everything is a real hike (and expense) for us folks in Texas. Please someone bring something to us!
              $> sh ./crunluath-a-mach.sh
              $> segmentation fault (core dumped)

Comment

I have to second the National Piping Centre school in Winchester.
                Brian Erbe
                Greater Richmond Pipes & Drums
                www.grpd.us

Comment

Originally posted by error
                  Everything is a real hike (and expense) for us folks in Texas. Please someone bring something to us!

You have the Lyon College summer school just right next door in Arkansas from June 23 - 28. Info here:

http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/groups/shp/summerschool/

K
                  Kenton Adler

For best results - PLAY LOUD

Comment

www.naapd.org - The North American Academy of Piping and Drumming.

Guaranteed best company, great instruction, a picture perfect mountain setting, and fantastic food.

A place where instructors care about your progress, whether you're a beginner or an advanced player, and will socialize with you and consider you a friend whether you aced the crunluath fosgailtes and strathspey rhythms in class or not!!

Over 35 years of doing it ALL right. The school was founded by P/M Sandy Jones and the late, great, John MacFadyen.

I'm a proud alumni of the school, and also honored to be an instructor there for the past 19 years.

Comment

You got me at the "good food" part. Now, how do I run this by the "boss lady."

Comment

Originally posted by sonofsomerled
                        NAAPD does look strong - but West Va. is a real hike.
                        Originally posted by sonofsomerled
                        You got me at the "good food" part. Now, how do I run this by the "boss lady."
                        You of course realize NAAPD is in NC, not WV, and is also probably an even greater 'real hike' from NJ, even for good food........

I'm hoping to go down next summer. Personally, my arguement is it's a great value. Lodging, food and instruction is very reasonable at $500/week, IMO.

Comment

$500 a week is great. And there is no effort I will not undertake in the pursuit of great chow - and my personal quest, the the perfect chicken enchilada...

Comment

I've been to quite a few of the summer schools & hands down the best is the NPC. You will be instructed by some of the best pipers in the world. The food is pretty good, too. The final night, the instructors hold a concert and it's a real treat to hear them all play. It's amazing to be sitting at the same table with these great pipers and they are very helpful and down-to-earth. I've been to their workshops in Glasgow & Virginia & can highly recommend both.

Comment

I just looked at the NPC website & they are offering a session in NY.

Comment

Working...
                              X