The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Fitted Ear Plugs - 15db or 25db?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Emtec Noise Breakers, fantastically comfy, and I can still hear to tune etc.

The cert is here, not go a clue what it all means db wise, I think it means about 18db at 500Hz. So I'd say the 15 would be grand.
    https://www.noisebreaker.com/assets/...ertificate.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by CalumII View Post

Honestly, you will be surprised at the reduction that just 15dB is. 25dB is like going from pipe band to sitting in a car on a motorway, with no music playing. I stood for a couple of winters on the end of a grade 1 corps, next to the sides, and my earplugs were rated I think at 8dB and they were all I needed.
      That’s helpful... they also have a “9” dB filter as well... looks lithe there question might shift to 15/9 dab. Appreciate the insights!

Comment

I would not go to 25, mine are 15
        When on parade outdoors it is sometime hard to hear the P/M callout a tune etc.
        Indoors they are perfect solo and band.
        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
          I use Emtec Noise Breakers, fantastically comfy, and I can still hear to tune etc.

The cert is here, not go a clue what it all means db wise, I think it means about 18db at 500Hz. So I'd say the 15 would be grand.
          https://www.noisebreaker.com/assets/...ertificate.pdf
          This is really cool Mac.

In general I prefer 15dB and then typically pull them out slightly depending. This lets you tailor how much intensity you receive. For example I can keep my right earplug seated while my left is eased out slightly to better hear drone tuning.

I've always wanted to have the In Ear Monitors made for musicians that have microphones on them. Instead of relying on the physics of earplugs, you have electronics. They let you carry on conversation, can adjust on the fly, or even boost certain ranges for hearing the drones clearly. All while lowering perceived volume to whatever you'd like. Expensive though :/.
          Happy Piping

Comment

I wear them as hearing protection for work. There are brands with swappable filters, which will allow you to go lighter if you really can't hear. I would say go for the -25dB, though. You're probably being exposed to dB well over 103dB (C weighting). You're not going to lose by erring on the side of overly-cautious. Get the highest reduction filters you can, as well as one below that. The whole point of the customs is for a more even frequency reduction than the generic foam plugs. It's arguable which is worse, not hearing, or the constant ring that may become permanent.

Comment

According to my sound level meter, band practice registers at around 90-100 dB. This means that permanent hearing loss can happen after a mere 15 minutes of practice. Sound intensity increases by tens. In other words, 20 dB is not twice the intensity of 10 dB but ten times the intensity of 10 dB. Considering this, you might wish to opt for the 25 dB. I find I can still hear the pipe major just fine as well as most other talking. If there is a short discussion break, it is easy to remove an ear plug for better hearing, then reinsert before striking into the next tune.

Comment

I also suggest getting them in a color that contrasts with most floors. I learned this the hard way after spending 25 minutes groping around under a table seeking a dropped brown ear plug.

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post

This is really cool Mac.

In general I prefer 15dB and then typically pull them out slightly depending. This lets you tailor how much intensity you receive. For example I can keep my right earplug seated while my left is eased out slightly to better hear drone tuning.

I've always wanted to have the In Ear Monitors made for musicians that have microphones on them. Instead of relying on the physics of earplugs, you have electronics. They let you carry on conversation, can adjust on the fly, or even boost certain ranges for hearing the drones clearly. All while lowering perceived volume to whatever you'd like. Expensive though :/.
                  Yeah, I pretty much do the same as you. Sometimes I need to just tweak the drone side out a touch to check the drones are right then bosh it back in.

The digital ones exist, check out CENS Digital. But at over 400, EEK!!! It's a bit too much for me.

Emtec are making me a set of inear headphones/earplugs with bluetooth just now. They keep your ear moulds for 5 years, so it's much cheaper if you need a replacement set because you lost one.

As johnsog says, a bright colour is a good tip. Especially when you are out on the competition field. Easy to lose one in the grass! I have bright orange.

Comment

Working...
                  X