The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gellaitry Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gellaitry Pipes

I just got done practicing a couple new reels on my Gellaitry pipes. I'm in my usual state of euphoria after doing so. Not because of the playing mind you, but because of the hum next to my ear and its blend with the chanter to create harmonics we dream about. I saunter over to the computer and check out Gord's website, only in dismay to see Tim Gellaitry's pipes still "in stock", aka "not sold". I sit here, and I think to myself, "How can this be?" These pipes throw out the most refined harmonics I've ever heard (I'm using Kinnaird's) and Gord has had a set in stock for how long now? This blows my mind. Surely someone out there is ogling them?

If you're in the pipe market and you're looking around and you want a set that is most easily described by the things wrong with it (because the list is shorter) a Tim Gellaitry pipe is what you're looking for. Here's the list of things wrong with it:

Well, that's it. The pipes are flawless. Both in tone and visual beauty. The curves and lines on his pipes rival Victoria's Secret models, and trust me, I would know. (my wife didn't like the idea of naming our first daughter Alessandra). She also says there's truth in every joke, and that one is no exception.

Okay, I have no financial interest here. Just somebody go buy those bagpipes, because you'll regret it later if you don't.

Good night.

Oh yeah, the link is here.
    My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Re: Gellaitry Pipes

Originally posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
    These pipes throw out the most refined harmonics I've ever heard (I'm using Kinnaird's) and Gord has had a set in stock for how long now? This blows my mind. Surely someone out there is ogling them?
    You're right about that--I love the Gellaitry drone-sound for exactly the same reason. Craftsman pipe-making skills. In addition to all-important sound, there are some things you don't get: No rattling peeling nickel-plated metal work, no slightly mismatched joins, no tiny glue beads, no broken, shallow combing. I am always flabergasted at decent, name brand pipes with acceptable quality, but certainly not craftsman-like finishing. Good enough, and sounding ok. Then, there are those who finish off the work as an artist would, and to boot give a really full, refined sound.

Comment

For sure it's a pity that people in the market for new pipes usually overlook the small makers, the "artisan" or "boutique" makers one might call them.

I would sure like his Oreo thing better were he to reduce the diameter of the Oreos on the projecting mounts, for a more elegant profile.
      proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
        I would sure like his Oreo thing better were he to reduce the diameter of the Oreos on the projecting mounts, for a more elegant profile.
        I love the OREO drone tops. I think if he took his standard projecting mount and made it two pieces like the old makers did with ivory, the larger diameter piece blackwood and the smaller piece boxwood, that it would look cool, playing off the boxwood ferrules. Kinda like this, but less ugly (ugly due to my incompetence with GIMP):
        Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 07-30-2011, 07:51 PM.
        My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

I've heard nothing but great things about his pipes, and the pictures look beautiful. If I was in them market for a new set of pipes, he would certainly be on my short list.

There are other great small shop makers, but most don't get the hype that other makers get. Therefore their prices can really be a bargain for custom made pipes. It's amazing how people can get so caught up in hype- even high level pipers are not immune to this.
          Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
            For sure it's a pity that people in the market for new pipes usually overlook the small makers, the "artisan" or "boutique" makers one might call them.

My Gellaitrys are very traditional-looking pipes, but with all-boxwood mounts and plain silver slides. Tim makes to order, so no one gets a particular design just because it is the only one in stock. I would imagine that most of Tim's output is traditional in style.

For my taste, I think the old chalice design is one of the nicest, and would be stunning with boxwood trimmings, and would love to see Tim's take on chalice tops. My mimimalist side absolutely loves Tim's uncombed set of boxwood button mounts and polished aluminium. I'd kill for that in stainless.

Comment

I was referring not to the mount style pictured above, nor to traditional pipes, nor to chalice pipes, nor to Oreo tops, but specifically to his Oreo projecting mounts:

I feel they disrupt the lines of the drones in a way that no traditional 18th or 19th century mounts do.

My suggestion was to reduce the size of the Oreos on the projecting mounts, so that they maintained the proportion of the Oreo tops (which I like) but on a smaller scale. Here's a sketch I did to show Tim what I meant:

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

That is a very nice sketch, very cool. I was just combining the OREO drone top with a variation of the standard projecting mount. What you've drawn is more along the lines of a button mounted pipe, but with fancy buttons, very elegant. The chalice you've drawn there too is nice. I've always been fond of D. MacPherson's take on the chalice top. Something about those OREO drone tops though just screams "BUY ME!" to me anyway...

Comment

FWIW, I've played a set of Tim's pipes, my buddy Shawn McDaniel owned them and stopped by not long ago for a visit.

It is an excellent pipe. Very well made, gorgeous sound. I would classify it as a cross between a Sinclair and a MacDougall sound. Just awesome, great blend, big big sound yet refined.

Shawn
                  Get in the circle!

www.huskreeds.com

Comment

Pancelticpiper,

If you want I could make you a set,with your design changes,I also think the design would be good and very old tradional style. So the ball is in your court.

All the best,

Tim
                    Tim.J.Gellaitry
                    Bagpipe Maker
                    http://www.gellaitrybagpipes.com

Comment

Yes, I miss my set very much. Tim makes an amazing set of pipes. They really are one of the most well made pipes I have ever played and they have a very nice, refined tone with excellent blend between the bass and tenors. Excellent pipes in every way. You would not be sorry about purchasing a set of Tim's pipes.

Glad you are still enjoying your pipes Patrick!! They are sounding great on your audio recordings.
                      http://www.9notesdesign.com

Comment

Now, who would want to see that OREO design for the sole of a chanter?

Gives me goosebumps.

Tim, please tell us you have more pictures of that mammoth ivory mounted set?!
                        Last edited by Patrick McLaurin; 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Patrick,

I have a picture of the now called the "Argyll pipes"with the oreo style of pipe chanter sole it, went on a plain style set to Germany.I may have to e-mail it to you so you can post it for me.

Sorry but I don't have any more pictures of the Mammoth ivory pipes.

All the best
                          Tim.J.Gellaitry
                          Bagpipe Maker
                          http://www.gellaitrybagpipes.com

Comment

Very unfortunately from what I've heard, I have never had any experience with Gellaitry pipes, and am very jealous of Patrick. I am currently making a decision on my solo pipe to be, and I have already put this brand on the list. It's a hit or miss between atherton, Kron, Colin Kyo, and Gellaitry, and i have a lot of time to research, play, and get to know these fine instruments, if I can find anyone around here who plays these pipes....

But back to the subject... Based on the audio files I've heard on Patricks blog, no doubt that they are "right in the middle of Sinclair and McDougal" and I love that sound. Also, they have a little tiny bit of Henderson ring to them, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim.J.Gellaitry View Post
                              If you want I could make you a set,with your design changes,I also think the design would be good and very old tradional style. So the ball is in your court.
                              Yes it is indeed!

Trouble is, I'm very happy with my vintage pipes and I don't have the money for another set at this time.

I would dearly love a set such as I sketched though! My other fascination is with Guinness pint glass top pipes... oh well.

cheers! Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X