The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ewan McGregor a piper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ewan McGregor a piper?

I saw this one on Facebook the other day and though I'd share it.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater. It looks like Ewan McGregor is a piper. According to the folks at McCallum: "Ewan McGregor visted us last week to collect his New set of Small Pipes. Ewan is a very keen piper and bought his first set of Highland Pipes from us a few years ago. Ewan started as a snare drummer but left the Dark Side, to become a Piper." You'll have to scroll to the previous timeline photo to see the right pic.

Very Cool,
    Last edited by philosopiper; 07-30-2013, 06:10 PM. Reason: trouble with link
    Let us take care that we do not, as in the old Greek fable, cut the wings of our bees and set flowers before them, as the most sensible mode of filling the Hives of Truth.

Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Re: Ewan McGregor a piper?

I can assure you that Ewan McGregor was a drummer when he was at school with my partner. (He went to Morrisons Academy in Crieff) I have photos of him with a snare. His brother was the piper and now a Tornado pilot with the RAF..

He may have taken up the pipes in later years, but he IS a drummer at heart! ;)

I believe he still plays snare and kit drums as well as guitar.
    Drums and Pipes, by the Centre, Drink Up!

Comment

I know I am going to upset a lot of people here but who is Ewan McGregor ?
      Last edited by hooks; 07-31-2013, 07:25 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
      de gustibus non disputandum est

Comment

Originally posted by hooks View Post
        I know I am going to upset a lot of people here but who is Ewan McGregor ?
        <gobsmacked>

He played youngish (compared to me) Obi Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars movies episodes I, II, and III.

He was also played Camerlengo Patrick McKenna (the bad guy) in the movie version of Angels and Demons.

Amongst others. Here, you can see the longer list of what he's done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewan_McGregor
        Why lacrosse is better than baseball:
        Because hitting a person and then running to a ball is better than hitting a ball and running to a person. From Lax Magazine

Comment

No worries, Hooks, I was wondering too. Guess it's because I haven't been in a movie theater in about 10 years. I'm just a cultural infidel.....
          "Your Honor, I solemnly swear I am up to no good"

Comment

Who is Ewan McGregor?

He is the the son of two teachers at Morrissons Academy in Crieff. He is also a motorcycle enthusiast, snare drummer and pipe band member.

I do believe he may of appeared in a couple of low budget films and theatre productions and a couple of TV series, but nothing much ;)

I also believe the Queen gave him something called an OBE. I think you can buy them on ebay ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewan_McGregor

Sorry..I could not resist
            Drums and Pipes, by the Centre, Drink Up!

Comment

His career was established before those Star Wars pay-check walk-through yawners, back in 1996 with Train Spotting, and Brassed Off. Both are well-known films, one set in Edinburgh and the other in a pit-town in Yorkshire, but I have no idea if they were in popular movie theatres in North America. Despite being a dyed-in-the-wool Scot (with an OBE), he is more of a London/L.A. character these past years. His pre-Hollywood work shows a very good instinct for drama and character.

I guess the piping world loves to know who once played, still plays, or had a few lessons among the rich and famous. Kind of like who had what plastic surgery. Now, his favourite pipe tunes, whether he plays both heavy and light D-throws, and where he stands on the redundant low-A crunluath--that might be interesting!

Comment

He also wrote (co-wrote?) a couple of books about his long-distance motorcycle trips, including "The Long Way Down" about motorcycling from the Northern tip of Scotland to the Southern tip of Africa.
                Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

An auld Jedi mind trick:
                  "These are not the Crunluaths you're looking for"....."you may carry on about your business".
                  An Píob Mhór Ghaelach * Seán Pádraig Ó Treasaigh

Comment

Originally posted by bog-standard View Post
                    An auld Jedi mind trick:
                    "These are not the Crunluaths you're looking for"....."you may carry on about your business".
                    very good, but the wrong Obi-Wan.
                    Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                      Despite being a dyed-in-the-wool Scot (with an OBE), he is more of a London/L.A. character these past years.
                      Of course he's a LA / London character now. That's where his job is at. You kind of make it sound like that makes him a sell-out.

Train Spotting was popular in the US too. That's the first movie most of us know him from. I recently saw him in a couple of movies recently made and they were good. He's a good actor.
                      Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by gatormac View Post
                        Of course he's a LA / London character now. That's where his job is at. You kind of make it sound like that makes him a sell-out.
                        No--wrong assumption; never suggested that. It is the powerful money-driven magnet-effect that sells-out cinematic art--for which I do not blame each individual actor. Trainspotting and Brassed Off were made for a few millions in a few weeks, and both totally outshine typical Hollywood output (rarely actually made or financed in Hollywood anyway). The US box office take was pretty small for Trainspotting, actually. Nothing like Rocky 88 or Nightmare on Elm Street 301

I can imagine if all the talented musicians, especially pipers, all though that to be really great pipers they'd have to move abroad. Yes, it would hurt piping at home. But there is a balance of emigration and immigration that can work well for everyone. Scotland gained piping greats Blue MacMurchie, Donald MacPhee, and Iain MacCrimmon from the piping Diaspora!

Comment

You didn't like Rocky 88?

Trainspotting was a good movie. Disturbing but good. Definitely discouraged me from using heroin.

I saw him trying to play the pipes on Ellon a few years ago. It was fun. I think he was in his early stages of learning at that point.
                          Patrick

Comment

I don't know how well it did at the box office, but I quite enjoyed 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen' when I saw it last year.

Comment

A long time ago I received a 'phone call from Pipe Major Brian Donaldson, who was still making Inveran Bagpipes in Scotland

After the usual catch up, it was time for the reason for his call

"You'll be getting a call soon from Mrs McGregor to talk about giving bagpipes lessons to her son; the actor Ewan McGregor"

Although I sensed this was not a wind up, I still thought "Yeah. Right"

Even so, whenever the 'phone rang I jumped to nervously answer it

Then one afternoon, while I was lazing about in my pyjamas, feet up, spilling tomato soup or whatever down my front while watching the Antiques Road Show; the 'phone rang

I made the effort to pick it up

"Hello, this is Ewan McGregor"

"What!!!!"

Talk about ill prepared

While I was inwardly cursing Brian for saying it would be Mum 'phoning, panicking in case Mr E McGregor could actually see or imagine the dishevelled state I was in, trying to swiftly adjust my 'switched well off' mind set to something better, I was aware that Mr E McGregor was talking and explaining to me who he was

Even I could recognise Ewan McGregor's distinct voice, so we arranged some bagpipe lessons

One of my favourite Star War scenes, showing for me, incredible acting skills, was when that Sith killed the Jedi and Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan who wanted to exact instant revenge but had to maintain self control while those electric fields shut and opened in turn

But it was the bagpipe pupil I was going to see and to help develop so, as I already knew his occupation, I never broached the subject

I found Mr McGregor very quick to learn and forging ahead while under two fairly slack reins; his and mine

I very quickly realised the musical talent bursting to escape from fingers that had yet to learn the required execution

Before leaving the first lesson, I need the bathroom but couldn't work out how to switch the tap on without breaking it

I opened the door hoping that one of his daughters could tell me, but Ewan walked by first

Can you imagine

Mr McGregor picking up bagpipe skills so quickly and I have to ask him how to turn on a tap

Ewan also had the same type of mobile 'phone as me and can you also imagine my horror when I arrived home to find I had both his and my 'phones in my pockets

I cannot tell you what my wife Linda said, but the word 'idiot' featured quite a lot, and loudly

We were terrified that EM's mobile would ring, but we wrapped it up and didn't go near it, while I frantically found the original call and was able at last to talk to EM and arrange for me to return it to him at the studios the next day

He was nice as pie about it and in future lessons when we saw the 'phones next to each other we were very quick to put distance between them

During another early lesson EM was sounding the bagpipes and, having achieved one of the foundation bricks of sounding a legato high A, he was scaling up and down the chanter

Then the door nudged slightly open and the family dog entered with a huge marrow bone, and I saw that nothing else now existed for that dog

It sat by the wall exiting the marrow with its tongue and chewing on the ends in a state of utter bliss

I suddenly realised the bagipes had stopped sounding and I hadn't taken a blind bit of notice of what EM had been playing or doing

'I'm really sorry Ewan, I couldn't help watching your dog and I missed what you did'

'Oh don't worry about that. He is a very watchable dog'

brought me relief from the thought of being shown the door

The day then happened that EM played 'Scots Wa Hae' without my raising my hand to stop him

Finally all the grace notes were there with the music that was always there

We both felt a mighty achievement and shook hands on it

More tunes and lessons followed until Mr Ewan McGregor disappeared into the night on his acting ventures

It was a great episode for me and I hope EM continues to enjoy bagpipes the same as all us pipers do

Comment

Working...
                              X