The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan Canning quote on hard work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ryan Canning quote on hard work

I think that people get to the level of where they want to be. If you have the drive to be a Gold Medallist then you will leave no stone unturned in the persuit of that quest. That also includes the hurdles we put up in our own minds, which are the biggest hurdles of all. "I wasn't born musical therefore I can't be a musician" is surely a big hurdle. I remember the quote from the book "Illusions" by Richard Bach: "Argue your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours".
    O Wad some the giftie gie us
    To see ourselves as others see us

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post

The suggestion that every human being has equal gifts is ridiculous.
      I don't remember seeing anyone in this thread make that suggestion.

I ran across this book review the other day, which I find rather interesting:

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.p...00-hours-myth/

It's funny that the author of the review says that the book "debunks" the "10,000 hours myth" when it seems that everything they go on to say about the 10,000 hours is exactly what people seem to understand it to be.

Anyway, I found this quoted quote very enlightening "The experts, in contrast, keep paying attention top-down, intentionally counteracting the brainís urge to automatize routines. They concentrate actively on those moves they have yet to perfect, on correcting whatís not working in their game, and on refining their mental models of how to play the game, or focusing on the particulars of feedback from a seasoned coach."

One thing that can't be ignored in discussions like this is that some teachers consistently produce above average students. Setting aside piping for a moment, all of my wife's violin students who have attempted to make region orchestra have been successful, except for one who seemed to psych himself out on the audition when they delayed it for two hours. She is not particular about taking only the best or "most talented" students. She will teach anyone who desires to learn. What is really amazing to me is how well her 4th and 5th grade (11 and 12 year old children) chorus sounds, because she has almost no voice training. Her groups routinely sound better than other groups in the district, even though some of them are lead by people whose specialty is voice. I think the explanation is simple: she doesn't buy into the Victorian "special gifts are only for some" line of thought, so she expect everyone to make progress. Not that she doesn't understand that some are going to sing better for whatever reason, just that she expects them all work /and/ to make progress.

Comment

I've read about people certain types of intelligence. If you have musical intelligence you might not be so good at complex science.

The pipers who are destined to stay in Grade Five probably have another area of life they are more naturally gifted in. Brilliant number people possibly can't read human emotions...

Just because you can't spell words with twenty five letters you aren't a thicko! It's just not the field that you're gifted in...

Comment

Originally posted by flares2 View Post
          I have met countless people that come up and say, 'I could have played in this band or that band but ... insert random excuse here.' Beer tents are full of these people who try to justify why they didn't make it to the level they wanted, but I've never heard anyone say, 'I like to think I could have made it into this band or that, but I just didn't work hard enough.' "
          This is implying, it seems to me, that "these people" "just didn't work hard enough" to get to "this band or that" or in other words they had the talent to do it but not the work ethic, that everyone has the talent to get to a high level. It's that part that I disagree with.
          proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
            This is implying, it seems to me, that "these people" "just didn't work hard enough" to get to "this band or that" or in other words they had the talent to do it but not the work ethic, that everyone has the talent to get to a high level. It's that part that I disagree with.
            Please bear in mind, that was part of the Ryan Canning quote, not my words.

Comment

Most people don't play at the highest level. In fact, very few play at that level. There are certainly those who have tried and failed. I do feel, however, that playing at a good level, even at an excellent level shy of the highest, is not beyond reach for most if they what to do it badly enough. It will have to be more than just work ethics and the long hours. There has to be passion and determination, enough that one is willing to make sacrifices in other parts of life, endure set backs when nothing seems to work, plough one's way through and derive enjoyment every step of the way. And there has to be excellent instruction, and the support of peers.

John MacColl, we are told, as a youngster, walked 27 miles to his first competition, and back, with very disappointing results, and then worked to save up so he could go to Glasgow to receive the best instructions. We know about the late John Wilson's determination in the face of devastating circumstances. And we hear about how young Alasdair Gillies went up to the hills at the back of the house to practice until he had his lessons sorted out before he felt he could go home.

What seems clear is that even for those with talent to spare, they don't get to where they are without extraordinary dedication and effort. If John MacColl had to put in a bit of effort and seek out excellent instruction, then we all do. If we have not put in that kind of effort, then our limit might well not be due to lack of natural ability, but rather one of priority, circumstances, and inclination.

Comment

Working...
              X