The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid yet feasible idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stupid yet feasible idea

Originally posted by Rojellio View Post
    Here it is, my Drone blower. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mryq6m_Ivn8

I was using a monster hydroponic air pump (which I have for making Compost Tea for actual tomatos ) It blows Drones just fine. I was "blowing in" some new Drone Reeds. After getting it going, I let it run for 3 hours at a time.

I was bored more than anything, and tinkering / doing because I can. IT DOES NOT WORK FOR CHANTER, as the system is too dry. If you can figure out a moisture enrichment system, it might work. But without moisture for the chanter reed, its no more than a "scrying device" that allows one to hear what Pipes will sound like in 2020 when we all tune at 500hz +++

**also the pump I have can only power a full Pipe with an extremely easy Chanter reed.
    Mount a lubricator on the line...adjust the amount of drops till you get what you need...
    Randy

Comment

Didn't someone on RMMB once rig up a device to blow in a dozen reeds at once? He must have had more tolerant neighbours than mine.
      http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
      -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Car-NAY-Gee Mellon University's McBlare.

http://youtu.be/CjzuYvS0Nrw

Happy Piping

Comment

This is great.
          There must be a way for the drones to tune themselves. Maybe tracks on the pins to allow the sections to slide up and down until the frequencies match.

Comment

Originally posted by John MacDonald View Post
            The reedmaker i use measures the pressure with Inches of water in much the same way as a barometer. A reasonably easy reed would be 20 -23 A very easy one would be below 20 . An easy/ medium one would be 23-27 imho and above that would be varying degrees of difficulty
            This is pretty good here. 1 PSI is approximately 27-28 inches of water, if you want a conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by LindyHoppingPiper View Post
              This is pretty good here. 1 PSI is approximately 27-28 inches of water, if you want a conversion.
              Thats about it, and thats why its better to measure with a manometer, and pay no never mind to a PSI guage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojellio View Post
                Thats about it, and thats why its better to measure with a manometer, and pay no never mind to a PSI guage.
                ...unless your somewhat Rube-Goldberg-like project involves a compressor or tank with a regulator dial marked of in PSI
                Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

My point is that the resolution, or scale on a psi gauge isn't as fine. I have one somewhere that goes from 1 - 10 psi. But I prefer to have a manometer that goes from 0 - 50 Inches of water. or 0 - 2'ish psi.

Comment

I know exactly what your problem is - American Football! I can remember going down to the canteen at work for a cup of coffee at 11 am in the morning and they had the Rose Bowl on the TV - I went down for another coffee at 3 pm in the afternoon and the match was still going!!!! What sort of game is that? No wonder you can't blow long enough! The solution is simple…. change your game to rugby - you just have to blow for 90 minutes and then it's over! And you don't need all that girly stuff such as helmets and tight pants!
                    O Wad some the giftie gie us
                    To see ourselves as others see us

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com

Comment

Working...
                    X