Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe bag Grommet Patch/Repair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pipe bag Grommet Patch/Repair

    Last weekend I had an unusual occurance with my pipes, in that I was using substantially more air than previously. Usual trouble shooting cork the drones and check the joins lead to negative results that way. Checked the airtight zipper, and that was good. Then sprayed a mild detergent solution on the grommets and bag, thinking it may be the grommets that may of failed as on a previous bag. That was and wasn't the case as I was engaged by the ghost of Don Ho and Tiny Bubbles coming through the red cover of the bag around the grommets..

    Dissassembled the pipes removed the stocks and inverted the bag to observe the condition of the grommets inside the bag. The heavier rubber of the grommet is fused to a lighter rubber fused to the vapor permiable inner liner. Allowing for the heavier rubber of the grommet to connect to the liner on a moderately more secure base. The grommets themselves were intact and the rubber base around it looked sound but there was a seperation where the grommet and rubber liner met exposing the hybrid bag propper. I found the source of the escaping air. Common solution is to order a new pipe bag which I shall do.

    However, I decided to try an unconventional fix for the intrum. I used a product called Shoe Goo, which I've used to good effect previously on an older motorcycle jacket. Applied a bead into and around where the original mating of grommet, reinforcing patch and liner failed. and allowed that to cure. then applied a second bead over than and spread onto the surrounding material. After that cured I then tested the bag for air tightness. It is holding up very well under pressure. I will see how long that lasts, but for now it appears to be a reasonable fix, all be it temporary.
    Breaching the peace? What bagpipes officer?

  • #2
    Originally posted by piper Q View Post

    However, I decided to try an unconventional fix for the intrum. I used a product called Shoe Goo,
    .
    Before I finished reading your post I was already thinking to reply try ShooGoo....or AquaSeal which I just bought a tube of today to repair the leaky collar on a student’s bag. Ive been told it works well...if he can get another year or two out of the bag would be great while he’s growing.

    Comment


    • #3
      At risk of causing a bunch of eyes to bug out of sockets, I'll share with you that I used E6000 one time to fix the same issue, and after careful application and patience, it seems to have paid off. More than one way to skin a cat, as they say!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by el gaitero View Post

        .......or AquaSeal which I just bought a tube of today to repair the leaky collar on a student’s bag. Ive been told it works well.......
        Aquaseal is perfect for this, but if it's the first time you've used it, note that you need to store the tube in a deep freeze once it's been opened. Otherwise when you go to use it again, the tube will be set solid.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Scratcher View Post

          Aquaseal is perfect for this, but if it's the first time you've used it, note that you need to store the tube in a deep freeze once it's been opened. Otherwise when you go to use it again, the tube will be set solid.
          Hahahahaha....yeah I just noticed that advice on the packaging....I hope I don’t mistake it later for an hors d'oeuvre paste...

          Comment

          Working...
          X