Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe case recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe case recommendations

Hey all,

I’m looking for recommendations for a pipe case that
    a) can hold a set of GHB and bellows blown smallpipes
    b) is a hard case preferably
    c) is compliant with carry-on flight luggage recs

Thank you!!

A Pelican iM2500 or one of the many knockoffs would work with careful packing.
    "What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong

Comment

Thanks John, I was wondering if that type of thing might work.

Cheers!

Comment

That's a lot on the list (e.g., carrying two sets and still meeting flight requirements). However, years ago, I tired of carrying a pipe case and went to a luggage store, getting a rolling case with extendable handle. It was rugged, but soft sided. I added foam padding, especially on the back where the handle slides existed. With all the pockets, it's carried a ton of things and saves my shoulder, especially from long walks at some of the larger games.

Comment

I use a Pelican 1510 and it does everything you want and more:

-I have an organizer inside the lid that holds hemp, wax, etc. and comes in handy

-I carry two chanters and there is room to spare for more stuff

-It's waterproof, crushproof, and dustproof

-It has wheels but you can carry it like a suitcase

-You can sit on it

-Lifetime Warranty

Can't recommend it enough.

Comment

I use a Protec iPac triple trumpet case. I took out one of the interior walls and it currently has a small compartment inside to keep chanters, water traps, and lots of other stuff. I’ve had my GHB and shuttle pipes, which I know are smaller than border pipes, but the main compartment is pretty much completely customisable.

I’ve taken it on multiple flights, including flying from San Diego to Glasgow via Philadelphia, and have always been able to take it as a carryon.
            You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by salmunmousavi View Post
              I use a Pelican 1510 and it does everything you want and more:

-I have an organizer inside the lid that holds hemp, wax, etc. and comes in handy

-I carry two chanters and there is room to spare for more stuff

-It's waterproof, crushproof, and dustproof

-It has wheels but you can carry it like a suitcase

-You can sit on it

-Lifetime Warranty

Can't recommend it enough.
              I have one of these too. Very robust, but size wise, I don't think it would fit 2 sets. I run mine with quite a bit of foam protection, so it's snug with only one set and very limited accessories. I suppose it depends how much protection you want for your pipes?

Arra best

Comment

Originally posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

I have one of these too. Very robust, but size wise, I don't think it would fit 2 sets. I run mine with quite a bit of foam protection, so it's snug with only one set and very limited accessories. I suppose it depends how much protection you want for your pipes?

Arra best
                Hey, that's kind of what I was worried about....... There's some Pelican im2500 Storms on ebay right now for cheap cheap though so I might go for it & see what I can come up with as far as the foam layout. Will keep ya posted.

Oh, and I know I'm owe you an email ;)

Cheers!

Comment

im2500.jpg Here's a photo I just took of a im2500 with GHB and SSPs. I, of course, wouldn't just close the top and travel to Morocco. But, there's plenty of room for foam sleeves, bubblewrap, t-shirt padding, etc. As I said in the first response, these will fit with careful packing. Those prices on eBay are ridiculously good.
                  "What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong

Comment

Originally posted by Skyelark View Post

Hey, that's kind of what I was worried about....... There's some Pelican im2500 Storms on ebay right now for cheap cheap though so I might go for it & see what I can come up with as far as the foam layout. Will keep ya posted.

Oh, and I know I'm owe you an email ;)

Cheers!
                    If you can get one cheap I'd say GO FOR IT! Great cases!

Comment

Originally posted by John McCain View Post
                      im2500.jpg Here's a photo I just took of a im2500 with GHB and SSPs. I, of course, wouldn't just close the top and travel to Morocco. But, there's plenty of room for foam sleeves, bubblewrap, t-shirt padding, etc. As I said in the first response, these will fit with careful packing. Those prices on eBay are ridiculously good.
                      Thanks John,

that's a very useful photo. Cheers!

Comment

I have a black Pelican 1510 and a grey Hardigg Storm im2500. (Pelican bought out rival Hardigg in 2009.)

Both cases were bought used on Ebay for under $100 each.

These can be thrown off buildings or run over by a car and survive. They float.

I took out all the foam, and cut a yoga mat to shape for each case. In the lids are the mesh zip-pouch things made for Pelican cases.

(In the lower photo the handles are only pulled halfway out, they're fullsize handles.)

The Pelican came with hard plastic wheels that give a jittery ride, I replaced them with softer wheels for a smooth quiet ride. There are YouTube tutorials on this. The Pelican requires a Phillips driver, the Hardigg a Robertson driver.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 10-28-2021, 04:46 AM.
                        proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Here's a YouTube video where a professional photographer puts several different brands of cases through various torture tests

Case Torture Test - Pelican vs SKB vs Monoprice vs Amazon Basics vs Nanuk vs Harbor Freight Apache - YouTube
                          proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I use a Nanuk 935, a Canadian version of all the armored sets noted above. It claims to have slightly more interior capacity than the Pelican case. Probably marginal at best.
                            I love it and lug my GHB pipes around in it all day long, bullet proof in every way, convenient with handle and wheels, and best yet, a sealed environment which will become important in the upcoming Canadian winter.
                            BUT, as far as space goes, it's a bit of a squeeze...
                            I do use the lid organizer that takes up space, and foam around the drone tops at the bottom of the case, but I can just close the lid.
                            I'd consider carefully placing my mouth blown small pipes in there at the same time.
                            But adding my border pipes would be too much, adding bellows a complete no...
                            I did at one point purchase a carry on semi hard sided travel case, with 4 wheels and a handle....
                            Sometimes called spinners as they have 4 wheels. It would gladly accept a broken down GHB and a border pipe....Likely the bellows too.
                            Although tossing the bellows in to your checked luggage would likely cause no harm.
                            Caveats to everything though....
                            There are bellows, and then there are BELLOWS! Thinking of my McCallum bellows that almost need their own case, versus my much older Garvie Bellows....
                            Plus your GHB, does it lie flat ? Or is it full of hoses and canisters that double the bag size...?

Comment

Originally posted by Lochie View Post

As far as space goes, it's a bit of a squeeze.

I do use the lid organizer that takes up space, and foam around the drone tops at the bottom of the case, but I can just close the lid.

Does your GHB lie flat? Or is it full of hoses and canisters that double the bag size?
                              You've put your finger on the reasons I seem to have plenty of room:

1) I just have plain sheep and Gannaway bags, no grommets, no canisters, no hoses.

2) Each case has a foam Yoga mat cut to size to pad the bottom, but I don't have any other foam. When I had fancy vintage silver & ivory pipes I did put socks on each section, but socks are thin and hardly add crowding.

Comment

Working...
                              X