As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

21st century tartans at the Worlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21st century tartans at the Worlds

It's been a trend in the Pipe Band world, more and more bands going away from traditional tartans and having bespoke tartans created.

Here are three tartans making their Grade One Worlds debut in a couple weeks, along with a more venerable one.

Clockwise from upper left:

ScottishPower tartan 1995

Edgewater tartan 2014 (Dunedin PB)

Drumgooland tartan 2017 (Closkelt PB)

Scottish Police Federation tartan 2021 (Police Scotland and Federation PB)

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Four more 21st century bespoke tartans, or bespoke weaves of existing tartans.

Clockwise from upper left:

78th Fraser Highlanders PB tartan 2018

Fraser tartan (bespoke colour-scheme, 2010) (Simon Fraser University PB)

Drumalig tartan 2006 (Field Marshal Montgomery PB)

Carnegie of Fife tartan 2013 (Police Scotland Fife PB)

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I think it's a very good idea if the band can afford it. Why should a band be locked into identity with one clan or regiment? I only say so mainly because my old band used to wear an enlarged MacLachlan tartan, which is quite nice. The local Clan MacLachlan society leader was well pleased whenever they saw us at a games and would sort of brag they had their own band. After his term, the next leader of the society spoke every ill of us because we hadn't begged him personally for permission to wear the tartan. He was told where he could go and what horse to ride there. If a band can manage to have their own tartan, it could avoid a lot of hassle. With the ease of tartan design software, it could be a nice band project.
      Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Generally a band will need to purchase a bolt for the initial batch of kilts, and the weaver has to set up the loom to weave it, regardless if it's a standard tartan or a bespoke design.

A couple times I've been through the process with bands, and in those instances the cost was the same.

This being the case, I don't know why more bands don't go the bespoke route.

Comment

Working...
        X