As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I wear...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I wear...?

Respecting tradition...If my great uncle was a Gordon Highlander and I have his elk cap badge, would it be considered a no-no to wear it on my glen?
    When I get to 1k posts, I'm outta here

Re: Can I wear...?

not at all.It's a stag, not an elk.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I guess I had better learn the difference between a stag and an elk.
      When I get to 1k posts, I'm outta here

Comment

According to what I've been able to read about Scottish genealogy. If you have the slightest bit of a clans blood line in you then you are of that clan--no argument!!!
        Don't you just love family.

Comment

According to what I've been able to read about Scottish genealogy. If you have the slightest bit of a clans blood line in you then you are of that clan--no argument!!!
          I would like to agree with that, but some of the guys in the clan tents at the games certainly don't feel that way! Grrrr.....

I admit that my Scots are few and very far back so I'm wearing Flower of Scotland, but my husband's family has a lot of Scottish heritage and he chose his tartan to honor his great grandmother's clan. Apparently not a close enough relative for some!
          Without music, life would be a mistake. -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I chose MacRae as it was my gran's clan. I'm not a big fan of my tartan.
            Ross
            "Piping is a disease for which nobody has found a cure"
            Robert Reid

Comment

What's with the continued "kafluffle" on this forum about "what CAN we wear?" Wear whatever you want! Wear what you think looks good or matches your hair colour, if you like. The connection of tartans to clans is more contrived than factual.
              aka Mark Palmer

Comment

Tartan Fabric is an industry. IT is all about moving product, much like any other business. NOt once that I am aware of has a kilt maker checked a persons ID to substantiate their claim to one tartan or another. The only thing they will confirm is that there is room on your visa card.

Comment

The connection of tartans to clans is more contrived than factual.
                  While it is true that most tartans worn today date from 1822 and after, there are quite a few which are much older than that, and which DO have clan or district significance. Stewart of Atholl, Grant of Glenmoriston, Jacobite, and Moray of Abercairney are four setts which date to the '45 or before.

The 'tartan fervor' brought about by Walter Scott's stage-managing George IV's state visit to Edinburgh in 1822 caused a rage of 'all the latest tartans, in the brightest colours' to be sold across the world. Tartan was the most popular cloth world-wide from the 1820s until well into the 1870s, even showing up in Japanese woodcuts from the 1840s, depicting a samurai in tartan kimono and hakama, no less - MacLean of Osaka?

Comment

Going back to the original question regarding a Gordon's cap badge you will find that it is ex Gordon Highlanders that will be attracted to it, and ask when you served etc.

I have a KOSBs badge on my glengarry that was given to me by my grandmother from her fathers collection of military souvenirs. I've often been asked about my connection to it and have simply said it was my great grandfathers which has satisfied the enquirer. I omit to say he was a Gordon Highlander who swapped it with someone.....
                    Incidently on one occasion I was busking in Berlin while the KOSBs were stationed there. I found that the wives of serving soldiers were the ones who were most protective of the badge.

Ian

Comment

As to the cap badge. Along with Piping I am an Independent Civilian Contractor for the US Navy as a Bugler at Funerals where I blow Taps. Even though I am paid by the Navy for this service I am not allowed to wear any Military uniform since (Thanks to the people I play for) we were not at war when I was of age. I wear a Dark suit only. While the cap badge is nice IMHO if you did not earn it don't wear it.

Jeff Dyer

Comment

From a strictly military, and non- sentimental standpoint, I would tend to say keep that badge in a box. My father and grandfather were both in the Canadian Scottish, and I would not wear their badges. To me it would be somewhat like Andrew and Colin Lee getting dressed up, and sneeking out with Jack`s Gold Medals pinned to their lapels. If you didn`t earn it, don`t wear it. The only exception to this which is militarily accepted is for widows - they may wear their husbands military decorations on right hand side, as opposed to the left.

Comment

The Stag's head with the motto "Bydand" is, of course, the emblem of the Clan Gordon. As such it is worn by any member of the Gordon clan. I believe, though I stand open to correction on this, that it is also used by Gordonston college or scholl or whatever, as is the Gordon tartan, so I don't think there's much justification for getting too hot under the collar about "The Right To Wear It"

Comment

Tartan and clan badges are civilian and as such really don't have any "right to wear" rules. Other than that of good taste, I suppose. Military badges however are another matter. I don't know about the British military, but US military take a VERY dim view of people wearing such things as airborne wings, Ranger tabs, CIB's(Combat Infantry Badge to you civilian types )and SEAL badges, to name a just a few. I don't wear my uncle's WWII wings and my son doesn't wear my CIB or airborne wings.

And that's my .02 for what its worth.
                            John Desormeau

It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.
                            Proverbs 19:2 (NIV)

Comment

Our band wears the Blackwatch badge on our glens. However, we are planning a trip to Scotland, and will be replacing the badge with one of our design, since it would not be appreciated by the Scots if we wore those badges.
                              Dave Craig

"The Wild Scots encouraged themselves to arms by the sound of their bagpipes" - From an account of the Battle of Pinkie

Comment

Working...
                              X