As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting of The Death of Sir John Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting of The Death of Sir John Moore

Well,

I am seeking information regarding a painting made in the early 1800s depicting the Death of Sir John Moore in 1809 after his retreat to Corunna during the Peninsular War. Moore was a great friend to the Highland regiments serving in Spain and is creditied with, among other things, initiating the development of Light infantry units in the British army.
    Unfortunately I do not have the name of the artist and I have tried checking with various War museums in Britain without much success. Perhaps someone on the group could t asssit me in locating the whereabouts of the painting or the name of the artist.
    Moore has a Nova Scotian family connection and I have been told that one of the Napoleonic War veteran pipers who setlled in Nova Scotia actually posed for the artist before emigrating. Whether or not he was one of the Highlanders who carried Moore's injured body from the field is currently unknown.

This is proving to be a great forum for the exchange of information. Thanks Mario and Bob for suggesting it and setting it up.

Barry

Re: Painting of The Death of Sir John Moore

You'd do best to contact Captain Colin Harrison at the Gordon Highlanders Museum in Aberdeen on the Viewfield Road.

Sir John was carried from the field in the officers' sashes of Gordon Highlanders; the sashes are on display at the museum, as is (I think) the painting as well.

http://www.army.mod.uk/ceremonialand...s/m176gord.htm

Comment

If I remember correctly there was a poem by someone well known that went along the lines of:-

Not a sound was heard, not a funeral note
      As his hearse, to the rampart, they carried

which was parodied, again if I remember correctly, by someone else less well known thus:-

Not a sound was heard, not a funeral note
      As his horse, on the rampart, they curried

Comment

The full text of the poem can be found here. However, I must admit that I quite like William McGonagall's scribblings on the same subject which can be found here.

Is this the picture you mean?

Best wishes

Thomas
        Thomas Grotrian

nstattoo.ca ------ Tattoo Myspace
        pipefest.com ------- Pipefest Myspace

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

No , it isn't but thanks anyway! I think the painting I seem to remember shows him surrounded by various members of the different units. ( or maybe I am confused with the painting of Wolfe on the Plains of Abraham, which shows a member of the Fraser Highlanders)
          I sent off an email to the museum Iain Sherwood suggested but as yet no word back. The information I do have indicates it was members of the 42nd and 52 nd regiments which carried him from the field in a blanket, stopping occasionaly to allow him to look back and view the battlefield. Not sure where the story of the 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) sashes being used came from though.
          Barry

Comment

The sashes are on display at the Gordon museum with a card: "These sashes were used by officers of the 92nd to lower Sir John Moore's body into his grave at Corunna."

Comment

I served in the Gordon Highlanders and FWIW, I can confirm we were the only Regiment to wear black buttons on our spats in memory of carrying Sir John Moore to his grave.

Steve
              Teachers open the door... You enter by yourself. (Chinese Proverb)
              An' if ye play as bad as me, ye bugger off back oot the door .... pronto!

Comment

Very true! I'd forgotten that one - and me, a Bydand member!

Comment

Speaking of the Regiment, Iain, would you know anything about how the traditions, uniforms etc. of both the Gordons and the Queen's Own were amalgamated into the Highlanders?

I've only recently started getting back into all things Scottish and I had lost touch with the Regiment after they left Germany.

Thanks.

Steve
                  Teachers open the door... You enter by yourself. (Chinese Proverb)
                  An' if ye play as bad as me, ye bugger off back oot the door .... pronto!

Comment

It's a mishmash - pipers wear one tartan, drummers another, ranks another; officers wear Gordon waistcoats with Erracht kilts.

You can see what they're wearing on the Army site for 'The Highlanders.'

They even hate the name - especially all the former Gordons!

Comment

Working...
                    X