No announcement yet.

So. Totally. Done. With wearing a kilt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So. Totally. Done. With wearing a kilt.

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
    Ooofff!. Imagine the behind the back laughs this outfit would get; ...anywhere.
    This one is for the fashionista piper! Hahaha. I was only slightly serious about the outfit - I think a dress is much nicer.

Comment

Ooofff!. Imagine the behind the back laughs this outfit would get; ...anywhere.
      Not by me. With a D-M like that, I would almost walk the Rose Parade again. I say Go Girls!
      Rooklidge
      Holy smoking keyboard!
      Last edited by Rooklidge; 08-15-2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

There used to be a ladies' pipe band here in the Boston area many years ago. (1980s) Cam Webster's mom, Lezlie, was the PM if I recall correctly. They wore long tartan skirts, black weskits and frilly white blouses. They looked good and sounded good.
        Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Go for it!

May I recommend, if you plan on purchasing something of extremely high quality, that you check out my band's kilt maker's ladies' line of clothing. You can find it at https://mykiltmaker.com/collections/skirt

She does fantastic work, understands making clothing for women (even women specific kilts for the ladies in our band), and it's the afraid to try something new if you have something specific in mind.
          You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Here is a video of Faye Henderson competing in top level piobaireachd dressed as a female......
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd63jGY-eSU

Ian

Comment

I know a lot of male pipers who would wear a dress to be able to play like that, Ian!

Andrew
              Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
              BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

This thread was brought to my attention by a male friend, we've had a chat about him hanging out in the ladies room

I'm a competitive piper (and a lady )and I LOVE the dresses in the first post. While I wouldn't wear them in a competitive environment if an opportunity arose that I felt I could wear something like this, I'd be delighted. I don't even wear dresses generally!! I don't do weddings etc.but I agree you would need to check with the one who paid the bill. It may raise a few eyebrows but presented along with well played music on a good pipe people would soon settle into it and it would look lovely in the photos.

I play in a made to measure kilt, blouse, ladies shoes. No glengarry, sporran, jacket or brogues. I always add some subtle jewellery and apart from a few comments including "judges won't take you seriously" I've had no problems apart from where to store my iPhone when I play!

I'm always looking for an option to what I usually wear and I've seen lady pipers in dresses looking really stylish, if you can make it work..go for it..just make sure you get the shoes and the bag to match, well you need somewhere to keep your phone!

Comment

I also agree that it would be nice to get away from all that heavy garb ... I found that trying to find something that actually fits me properly is so frustrating.

Wearing a tie and waistcoat is just wrong! But I'm not into ruffles either! It would be nice to be able to play (even if it is badly) in something that celebrates me being a female piper and not me pretending to be a male! Gotta have bling though

I have been requested to play at my work next week, and they are all looking forward to the "outfit"... hmmm... so much for my plans to wear jeans and jumper!
                  My bagpipes are haunted

Comment

Greetings to All,
                    (and with the permission of those
                    to whom this section is dedicated),

One of the very nice things about waking up in this mortal
                    world is that... after a point... you get to choose... and then
                    to do... what you want!!

And while I may agree that the skirts and blouses are very
                    nice... and obviously much more comfortable... it really isn't...
                    my call.

With this... as with all else... choose... what best befits your
                    wishes.

Go out... dressed as you will... play well... have a good time...
                    and have fun with it!! (That's... why any of us... do it!!

Regards,

Pip01

My friends all know,
                    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Originally posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
                      I've had no problems apart from where to store my iPhone when I play!
                      An open top patch pocket about 7" square sewn to the under apron.. centered and about 4" up from the hem can hold your wallet,phone...and if you get fancy ..create a separate sleeve to slip your eyeglass case down into.

I used a sturdy black cloth napkin from a restaurant.
                      Andrew Lenz
                      Administrator
                      Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 08-19-2016, 10:37 PM. Reason: Fixed malformed block quote syntax.

Comment

While surfing for bagpipe tunes, i came across this. here is a lady piper who is also done with the kilt thing.

Regards
                        Adios

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Pratt View Post
                          While surfing for bagpipe tunes, i came across this. here is a lady piper who is also done with the kilt thing.

Regards
                          Adios

Rick
                          I can't see that becoming accepted ladies wear at the Glenfiddich any time soon....

Comment

Originally posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
                            I can't see that becoming accepted ladies wear at the Glenfiddich any time soon....
                            Hard to tell from the photo....Izzat a lady?..btw notice the bass top 'tuning' position
                            el gaitero
                            Holy smoking keyboard!
                            Last edited by el gaitero; 09-01-2016, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Izzat a lady?
                              Do we really need to go there?

..btw notice the bass top 'tuning' position
                              It's an electronic set of pipes.
                              http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
                              -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by CalumII View Post

It's an electronic set of pipes.
                                I didn't know that, do they always play electronic pipes?
                                That is Celtica isn't it?
                                Greg

“Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.” ― Paul Brandt

Comment

Working...
                                X