Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hills of Kintail 2/4, not the Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hills of Kintail 2/4, not the Air

Above is a great (to me anyway) MSR. The 2/4 March is one I have never heard before. I'm wanting to learn it, and I have searched here and there the last several days (Ceol Sean, Bagpipemusic.com, Piping.ca, many others) and have not had any luck locating the setting to purchase or otherwise just listen to. If anything returns in searching it is the well known slow air.

Today I tried the Pekaar Encyclopedia and finally may have finally found it in Book 6 of Pipe Major Donald MacLeod's volumes. Is this correct, is anyone familiar with this tune?

Thanks in advance

Happy Piping

Yes, page 14 of MacLeod book 6 is Hills of Kintail as played in your linked video.
    My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

Absolutely fantastic 2/4! If you prefer it in a solo setting, Iain K Macdonald played it quite a few times in competition. There are videos out the of his performances

Comment

Cheers gents, thank you much!
        Happy Piping

Comment

https://vimeo.com/241834550

Comment

Originally posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
            Excellent find, thanks for linking Mac. I'm not sure what it is about the 2017 year of the Glenfiddich but there are some really good performances I come back to in it. One of my favorite is Roddy MacLeod's.
            Happy Piping

Comment

Working...
            X