Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folk bands with fiddle and GHB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folk bands with fiddle and GHB

I'm looking for good examples of recordings of folk bands with GHB and fiddle. I'm specifically interested in tunes/sets where the pipes and the fiddle playing at the same time and are not playing in unison--so harmony, counter melody, something like that.

That is a good question. Most folk bands seem to favour Border Pipes or SSP for playing with other instruments. Kenneth and Angus MacKenzie's Piob 's Fidheall is the only recent one that springs to mind. I think Beolach had some GHB and Slainte Mhath (the earlier stuff, the later stuff was more Celt Rock and less folk). Interested to hear about others.

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin; 05-26-2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Here are a few: Beolach, Breabach, Daimh. Manran/Ewen Henderson, Rura, Timothy Cummings

Comment

Battlefield Band

Comment

Ossian. The combination of John Martin and Iain MacDonald was brilliant.
          Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Forgot to mention Tannahill Weavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              Forgot to mention Tannahill Weavers.
              I spent a day listening to 8 of their CDs. The only track I heard that's an example of what I'm looking for is Lucy Cassidy.

Comment

Originally posted by bob864 View Post

I spent a day listening to 8 of their CDs. The only track I heard that's an example of what I'm looking for is Lucy Cassidy.
                Huh? There's no fiddle in that track

Comment

Originally posted by Raibeart View Post

Huh? There's no fiddle in that track
                  There's a whistle harmony to the GHB that would work well on a fiddle.

Comment

Originally posted by bob864 View Post

There's a whistle harmony to the GHB that would work well on a fiddle.
                    Ah, ok. But that wasn't what you asked for.

Maybe something like this? From one of the bands I mentioned previously:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6fZfyQtrzE
                    Last edited by Raibeart; Yesterday, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raibeart View Post

Ah, ok. But that wasn't what you asked for.

Maybe something like this? From one of the bands I mentioned previously:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6fZfyQtrzE
                      Yes! Thanks. That one is exactly the kind of thing we're looking for.

Comment

Ossian’s arrangement of Will a You Go to Flanders with Lord Lovats Lament….I particularly like.
                        Slow and emotive. We used to play that arrangement in the folk band I played with in the mid 1980s. We used it to close out our first set. RIP Tony Cuffe.
                        https://youtu.be/lR5Tqwim6Io
                        Last edited by Toxpert; Today, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X