Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite bagpipes album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite bagpipes album?

I’m curious, what is your favorite bagpiping album(s)?

I hadn’t give it tons of thought, but I’d say Gordon Duncan’s Just for Seamus is one of mine.

Andrew
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

78th Frasers Live In Ireland

Comment

That's a toss up between like 8 albums, but off the top of my head A' Sireadh Spors by Dr. Angus MacDonald. Fine piping.

Comment

I'm partial to Matt MacIsaac's Piping Album, the Gaelic College Pipe Band's Taisbeanaidh, and Slante Mhath's first self-titled album....

Comment

Originally posted by Raibeart View Post
          I'm partial to Matt MacIsaac's Piping Album, the Gaelic College Pipe Band's Taisbeanaidh, and Slante Mhath's first self-titled album....
          I just heard MacIsaac’s Dr. McInnes’ Fancy on Pipeline from his The Piping Album. I’d love to get a hold of the whole album. Holy crap!
          My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

As for my favourite records:

Bands: 78th Fraser Highlanders live in Ireland and Polkemmet Grorud from the late 80's
            Solo: World's Greatest Pipers Vol 1, PM Angus MacDonald, Scots Guards

cheers
            Andrew
            O Wad some the giftie gie us
            To see ourselves as others see us

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com

Comment

Tough question. My favorite is the same band, but two different albums. Victoria Police Pipe Band "Master Blasters", and "Live In the Rockies"

Mckay

Comment

On pipe bands, my favourite album is still the Vale's Live 'n Well concert. For me it still defines what pipe band music can and should try to be.

Solo albums, well, there are so many, but an album I learn something from every time I hear it is Donald MacPherson's The Master Piper. A great album for throwing away what you think you know and just listening with big open ears.
                http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
                -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Band: SFU Live Down-Under
                  Mini-Band: Seudan Seudan
                  Solo: Angus MacColl Live

But there really are too many to choose from.
                  Kevin

Comment

Way, way too many but honorable mentions would be; Tannahill Weavers, "Cullen Bay" and Mike MacNintch, "Chanters Song"
                    Edward Bradshaw
                    ---------------------------------
                    Is truagh, a Rgh, gun tri lmhan,
                    D limh sa' phiob 's lmh sa' chlaidheamh.

Comment

I think the first pipe band 'album' (on cassette) I got - The 48th Highlanders of Canada, Amazing Grace - would be my favorite simply because I've played it so much over the years. SFU Down Under, 78th Frasers Live In Ireland, Vale of Atholl Live 'N Well and Vic Pol Masterblasters are right up there.
                      John

Comment

For 2021 this is what is getting my iPhone hot and bothered. https://jdewcomp.bandcamp.com/album/mackerel-sky
                        a magnificent album by John Dew. You’re welcome!
                        My Musical Projects:
                        The Thistle Amongst the Lilies...Quebec's First Collection of Pipe Music!
                        Supersonic Tartan Death Machine

Comment

Oooooft That's tough!

The only way I could look at it is which ones do I go back to over and over again???

Gordon Duncan - Just for Seamus & The 78th a Flame of Wrath. Every time I play them they still sound fresh, like they could've been released only a few months ago. To me that shows just how far ahead of their time they were.

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post
                            On pipe bands, my favourite album is still the Vale's Live 'n Well concert. For me it still defines what pipe band music can and should try to be.

Solo albums, well, there are so many, but an album I learn something from every time I hear it is Donald MacPherson's The Master Piper. A great album for throwing away what you think you know and just listening with big open ears.
                            Yes, MacPherson's 'The Master Piper;' my lodestar.
                            “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

1st Grand Concert of Scottish Piping
                              A lot of heavy hitters on that one.

Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Working...
                              X