Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Di'ith na Coin Na Maragan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Di'ith na Coin Na Maragan

I know it has something to do with dogs and pudding, but can someone provide an actual translation for this tune. And, where can it be found. I've searched the usual channels. I have a copy of Dr. Angus MacDonald's version on his cd.

Thank you

Without starting a Dail Gael type maragan war, I think it's roughly "the dogs ate the blood pudding", if I have my past tenses correct, (which I may not). We tend to call blood pudding black pudding, (maragan dubha), and the people of Lewis claim there's is superior to anywhere else. To disagree is fighting talk for some.
    Callander Pipe Band FB page Please click and "like". Thanks
    Lowland and Borders Piper's Society

Comment

You're pretty much correct although maragan is plural. Also , marag dhubh is black pudding (blood) but there is also marag gheal - white pudding (no blood). And yes Stornoway black pudding is the best...

Comment

The tile translates as "Munlochy Bridge"
        (original title dating back to 1700 was Leith Wynd)

You'll find it here

There are 19 matches to your query. Go to blank search form.
        Munlochy Bridge trad
        0 Online S 4/4 2 www.pipetunes.ca; Jim McGillivray; Access to tune requires purchase. -
        Munlochy Bridge 6 170 S 4/4 2 Scots Guards Standard Setting Of Pipe Music, 1954,
        Munlochy Bridge 101 19 S 4/4 2 Standard Settings Of Pipe Music Of The Seaforth Highlanders,
        Munlochy Bridge 102 169 S 4/4 2 Ross's Collection Of Pipe Music, William Ross, 1885;
        Munlochy Bridge 125b 26 M 2/4 2 The Edinburgh Collection Of Highland Bagpipe Music, Part 2, David Glen & Sons
        Munlochy Bridge 136i 12 S 4/4 2 David Glen's Collection Of Highland Bagpipe Music, Eighth Part; David Glen & Sons
        Munlochy Bridge 143 79 S 4/4 2 MacLeod's Tutor For The Highland Bagpipe, Published By Pipe Major A. R. MacLeod,
        Munlochy Bridge 152 22 S 4/4 2 The Scottish Pipers' Society's Book Of Tunes, 1912 (Cannon 341) -

Munlochy Bridge Shears, Barry, Arr. 332 22 S 4/4 2 The Gathering Of The Clans Collection, Vol. 2;
        Munlochy Bridge Revisited Traditional 429 35 S 4/4 2 A Piper's World by James McWilliams -
        Munlochy Bridge Unknown 471 29 S 4/4 2 The Holyrood Collection; 90 Favourite Strathspeys For The Highland Bagpipe;
        Munlochy Bridge Setting II Shears, Barry (Arr.) 482 143 S 4/4 2 Play It Like You Sing It; The Shears Collection Of Bagpipe
        Munlochy Bridge Setting 1 Shears, Barry (Arr.) 482 97 S 4/4 2 Play It Like You Sing It; The Shears Collection Of Bagpipe
        Munlochy Bridge 10014 Online S - 0 David Glen's Collection of Highland Bagpipe Musicwww.ceolsean.net -

Munlochy Bridge 10016 Online M - 0 The Edinburgh Collection of Highland Bagpipe Musicwww.ceolsean.net -
        Munlochy Bridge 10027 Online S - 0 MacLeod's Tutor for the Highland Bagpipewww.ceolsean.net -
        Munlochy Bridge 10036 Online S - 0 The Scottish Piper's Society Book of Tuneswww.ceolsean.net -
        Munlochy Bridge 10036 Online S - 0 The Scottish Piper's Society Book of Tuneswww.ceolsean.net -
        Munlochy Bridge 10037 Online S - 0 William Ross's Collectionwww.ceolsean.net

Cheers
        Scratch
        Last edited by Scratcher; 07-16-2021, 03:05 AM.

Comment

It is a song https://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/oran/orai...in_na_maragan/. Here the children are singing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1m6hXLG324. The past tense of ith (to eat) should be dh'ith (ate) BTW.

Cheers -

Wes

Comment

It's Munlochy Bridge!! Thank you all - especially Scratcher. Stornoway Black Pudding is a food fit for kings!!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Sanderson View Post
              Without starting a Dail Gael type maragan war, I think it's roughly "the dogs ate the blood pudding", if I have my past tenses correct, (which I may not). We tend to call blood pudding black pudding, (maragan dubha), and the people of Lewis claim there's is superior to anywhere else. To disagree is fighting talk for some.
              Pretty much bang on, The dogs ate the puddings

Comment

Gad Zooks!!

What a truly lovely--and--illuminative --Forum we have here!! :-)

None like it!! (And some of us--have looked. :-)

Always--questions--and speculations--and always--cogent--
                further speculations--and most usually--dead accurate--and
                clear--results--and answers.

We could not possibly be--better served!! :-)

And-- I--was much served--and saved--by this Thread--for
                this was the very (translated) answer--that I made to-- "The
                Lady"--upon her seeing that her previously full--pudding pot--
                had somehow--and mysteriously--become--quite empty!! (??)

And rather than--Na Sithichean--Na Sioga--or Y Tylwyth Teg--
                which she has great difficulty to see--it seemed the more readily
                apparent--that our local Canine Compatriots--would naturally be--
                much more--"The Usual Suspects." :-)

To try--to keep this--"Piping Related"--I would think--that there is
                yet another--tune--and or song--lurking about--around here--
                somewhere. :-)

Regards, and Thank You!!, to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 07-21-2021, 09:35 AM.
                My friends all know,
                With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Working...
                X