'Over the Chindwin to Lochaber'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Over the Chindwin to Lochaber'

I just bought this piper's memoir by P/M Evan Macrae BEM, who was born in 1922, from Amazon for 8.95

I'm just on chapter 5 and it's already worth every penny to me

I bring this to your attention should you share similar taste in books and might have missed this one

Thanks for the heads-up, Roger! Duly ordered. I knew it was in the pipeline, but assumed it would be in Highland time...
    BagpipeTechnique.net
    Tunes from Donald MacDonald

Comment

I've just finished the book Calum. There is not one bit that I found to be boring.

Comment

Ordered the book and it just arrived! Looking forward reading it.
        Don't take life seriously! You'll never get out of it alive!

Comment

I too ordered the book when it first came out and agree with Roger, fascinating book with all of the piping lore and who's who, mentioned within. Really enjoyed this one and will probably reread it many times.
          Practice Hard, win easy!
          Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
          Vince Lombardi

Comment

It's on my birthday list.
            Thanks to those who posted!
            Often such publications fly under the radar.
            I try to buy them not only for the enjoyment and study of history, but mostly to support those who have put in the effort to log our history.
            I'm actually shocked by the number of books I have purchased in the recent past that are now out of print.
            Perhaps I'm a luddiite to collect printed material, and the internet will save us.....
            But I put my faith in paper, for now...

Comment

Originally posted by Lochie View Post
              I'm actually shocked by the number of books I have purchased in the recent past that are now out of print.
              Absolutely agree. So much of our piping heritage is locked up in books that are out of print, and unlikely to be re-printed. I would really like someone to set up a "Piping Books Council", which would take on publishing rights to maintain availability over the long term. But of course, most publishing projects are time limited revenue earners, and I can understand why people don't.
              BagpipeTechnique.net
              Tunes from Donald MacDonald

Comment

I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact that we are indeed a "niche" market. I agree with CalumII that i would love to see such a project but it would just have to be a labour of love, as there certainaly wouldn't be a lot of material benefit involved..
                Practice Hard, win easy!
                Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
                Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                X