"Pipers" by William Donaldson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pipers" by William Donaldson

I'm hooked. So many of the things expressed in the book, whether they be the frustrating minutiae about explaining the instrument to laypeople, or the history of the music and the players, are so well written that I wish I'd known about this book sooner. I'd have had a few shortcuts in regular conversation with non-players.

I know this is a new edition but I'm a first time reader of any edition. Has anybody else been reading this book? What's your take?

You might also look up Dr. Donaldson's first book, and his most comprehensive: The Scottish Pipe and Highland Society: 1750-1950. Not inexpensive if you can find it, but in my view one of our best historical look at piping.

Jim
    MCGILLIVRAY PIPING & PIPETUNES.CA
    www.piping.on.ca
    www.pipetunes.ca
    [email protected]

Comment

I have a loaned copy of that book, Jim. It's very scholarly. I started reading it early in my piping journey and while parts were pretty interesting, I had a hard time wading through it and never finished it. It might be time to make another go! (I'm generally a slow/methodical reader.)

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

The Scottish Pipe and Highland Society: 1750-1950.
        New paperback copies available for $35 on Amazon.
        https://www.amazon.com/Highland-Pipe.../dp/1904607764

Comment

I'd put Donaldson's 'The Scottish Pipe and Highland Society: 1750 -1950' on the required reading list if I were Ayatollah Billy Boy.

Ordered 'Pipers' a week ago, so I'll be back. Imagine it's more beach light reading by comparison. Now I just need the beach.
          Last edited by Billy Boy; 02-17-2022, 08:43 PM.
          “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Working...
          X