MacPhee chanter reeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacPhee chanter reeds

I just got my kron medallist from Jim McGillvary and with it came two MacPhee strong chanter reeds. I'd never heard of MacPhee reeds before but I really like the sound of them. I've only had the chanter since yesterday so the reed only has about 2 hours of playing time and it's already sounding pretty good, I'm really looking forward to the sound in a couple weeks. If you're looking to try a new reed I'd recommend the MacPhee

Sadly, I purchased 3 of McPhee's and coudn't get them anywhere near a good sound. So I sent 2 back with an explanation of what I was experiencing. A few days later I received a phone call to say, a refund was on it's way, I should find another reed supplier. I did and the Shepherd reeds are fantastic along with the customer service. P.S. I wonder if FMM are ever asked to find another reed supplier if they are not quite happy......
    Last edited by Gruffalo; 07-25-2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
      I wonder if FMM are ever asked to find another reed supplier if they are not quite happy......
      Probably not, but really - isn't that a good result? You had no luck with the McPhees, your money was refunded and you were able to find a reed that works for you. Sounds like a win.

Comment

The MacPhee reeds I received recently were all in the range of 30-35" of water in terms of strength. I took the one I liked and used it for my MCC2 chanter - after some fiddling and break-in, it's a match made in heaven. Comes in at 28-29" now, around 478 hz, super stable piob hi-G (which is why I got them), all else great. I'm a fan. I'll be using one next in a new RJM chanter, and possibly down the road in my Kron Medalist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
          Sadly, I purchased 3 of McPhee's and coudn't get them anywhere near a good sound. So I sent 2 back with an explanation of what I was experiencing. A few days later I received a phone call to say, a refund was on it's way, I should find another reed supplier. I did and the Shepherd reeds are fantastic along with the customer service. P.S. I wonder if FMM are ever asked to find another reed supplier if they are not quite happy......
          What brand chanter are you using and did you mention your chanter brand to the seller upon making the purchase? I ask because not all brands of reeds are great for all brands of chanters.....some chanters do better with certain brands and MacPhee Reeds may not be the best brand for your particular chanter.

Jenni
          Don't take life seriously! You'll never get out of it alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Harper View Post
            Probably not, but really - isn't that a good result? You had no luck with the McPhees, your money was refunded and you were able to find a reed that works for you. Sounds like a win.

Sorry, you have missed the point. Please keep an eye out on the Beer Tent shortly, under 'Pipers Quitting'. It might be educational. (& no I'm not quitting playing)
            Last edited by Gruffalo; 08-02-2021, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burp birl View Post

What brand chanter are you using and did you mention your chanter brand to the seller upon making the purchase? I ask because not all brands of reeds are great for all brands of chanters.....some chanters do better with certain brands and MacPhee Reeds may not be the best brand for your particular chanter.

Jenni
              Yes I mentioned the chanter type. I learnt that different reeds suit different chanters 20 years ago.....

Comment

Working...
              X