Piping site related, piping music related

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choice of pipe music engraving software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to use Sibelius. I had a template set up to mimic the Scots Guards books. Really nice and readable. Since they got bought out I can't reinstall my old copy so I've been using Musescore, which is really nice for free software.

Comment

Is there software out there that can transcribe a digital chanter into music script ?

D

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTSPINE View Post
        Is there software out there that can transcribe a digital chanter into music script ?

D
        Sort of. Musescore, Sibelius, Finaly, etc., can take midi input, so you can use any midi source, including a digital chanter with midi to play in notes, but the software woudln't be able to tell grace notes from melody notes. You could use it to play in melody notes, but it's probably not any faster to do that than to type them in.

Comment

Offhand, I think this would be a very doable machine learning project for perhaps a Masters thesis - with a controller that advised the software of exactly what fingering was in use, and some sort of fairly regular system of notation such as ABC, I would have thought training a machine to capture accurate notation wouldn't be the impossible task it once was.
          http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
          -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Pipe Writer Music Transcribers

I'm a bit of a Luddite and still use Pipewriter. It was made free at least a couple of decades ago. Since I come from a keyboard rather than a mouse/drag and drop era I found it quite usable.
            I have it in a virtual drive under XP where it still works. Unfortunately, I had both my backup drive and main drive fail at about the same time. Although most of the *.pip some files seem to exist many don't read. I get error messages. I've tried refreshing the various catalogue folders, but still errors

As said, the program still reads some files, but gives "run-time 5" and "invalid procedure call" errors for many. I can still transcribe tunes and get them to play and print so the program is working.

Is there anyone else still using Pipe Writer and might have some idea how I could either fix the procedure error or maybe get into the actual files and see where the problem lies. I've created some nice looking tune books with this software including my band's tune book (that is lost in procedure calls)

Any inklings, clues, hints or ideas would be appreciated. Message me if you are able/willing to assist.

Thanks for at least reading this. It's a great forum

Jed
            Not too old to rock & roll; Pipe on!

Comment

Jed, I think you'd be best served by a hard drive recovery service. Or a drive recovery utility program. If the files are missing parts (such as EOF terminators, etc.), then the program isn't getting what it is expecting and behavior will depend on how robustly the program was written in terms of error handling. Beyond that, I don't know what to tell you.

Andrew
              Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
              BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Spinrite has saved many disks for me. Works on hard drives, SSDs, etc.

Comment

Andrew / Paul
                  Thanks for the suggestions. I had retained the support tech from where I used to work to do a recovery. Got most of it but not all. It seems that the loss was mainly in the area where my *.pip files were stored.

Still wondering if anyone knows how to get into the pip files. Might be able to sort out / recreate what was lost or missing
                  Jed
                  Not too old to rock & roll; Pipe on!

Comment

After a quick hunt, it looks like the Pipewriter files are not just simple ASCII files, so you'd likely need a sector editor. You'd need to compare good working files with each other and try to find consistencies then look at the tune files are not working and see if you can figure out what is missing and then edit those in. This is complex and not for someone faint of heart! Assuming the files are on the same drive or it's on a drive that has been mapped identically, that would make it easier. If not, it makes it all the harder.

It's a lesson for all of us . . . make sure to have current backups!

Andrew
                    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
                    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Musescore is simply awesome. Doesn’t really do piobaireachd exactly as I’d like it to, but I am sure there is an easy workaround. But otherwise, scores look fantastic, and everything in a score is highly adjustable. I am an old school BMW Gold user, have tried some of the other things since, (which I cannot say I am fond of at all) and now use Musescore on my Mac. It is the best for my purposes.
                      My Musical Projects:
                      The Thistle Amongst the Lilies...Quebec's First Collection of Pipe Music!
                      Supersonic Tartan Death Machine

Comment

My go-to is CelticPipes. It's very inutitive for me, and I like being able to scale the staff and notation. Decent playback, too.
                        Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Working...
                        X