Bagpipe tune software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagpipe tune software

What is the best source for software that reads/prints .bww and .bwm files? From my earlier piping days, years ago, I have dozens and dozens of pipe tunes in those formats (all legally and honestly acquired), but no longer have the software - Bagpipe Writer, I believe it was - to read and print them. Results from an online search were either of dubious origin or referenced an unpleasant parting of ways of the program's developers, leading to at least two different code sets. I couldn't determine the safest source for the software. The "Pipe Tunes" Web site appears to use this file format, but from their site I was unable to find a link to the software itself.

A version compatible with Windows 10, 64-bit, would be best, if available.

Thank you!
    Eddie
    "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Realistically, I think it's fair to say the vast majority of people using BMW are using the version that is (AFAIK) still freely available to download, though there is also a commercial version for sale. As to the rights and wrongs of it, twenty-plus years later, all I know is there was a disagreement and no-one appears to have successfully sued anyone else over it.

There are utilities available to convert to and from ABC, and I use these when I have to. I am not a fan of the program or its output, so I actively avoid it.
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

BMW Gold, from Robert MacNeil Music Works will be the best option for printing a BMW file but if you just have a file or two that you need to print, you could always give the BMW to ABC converter at https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/bmwtoabc/ I've used it on occasion and it works pretty well, though you might have some issue with more complicated settings.
      Edward Ferguson
      ---------------------------------
      Is truagh, a Rgh, gun tri lmhan,
      D limh sa' phiob 's lmh sa' chlaidheamh.

Comment

I use the Gold program but I use this one also, works pretty well

http://r.fifi.free.fr/BagPipe/telechargement_en.htm
        John Bolt

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post
          As to the rights and wrongs of it, twenty-plus years later, all I know is there was a disagreement and no-one appears to have successfully sued anyone else over it.
          Thank you for not mentioning the errant BMW software, Calum. The reason no one was "successfully sued" was because the legal expenses would have exceeded any financial recovery. Rob MacNeil, while victimized, had little choice but to not pursue it. The only ones to "win" would have been the lawyers. Rob is just relying on people doing the right thing and support his investment in creating the authentic commercial Bagpipe Music Writer Gold instead of finding and downloading an illegal renamed copy. At about $50, it's pretty darn cheap, honestly . . . these days, that's a few chanter reeds! The only reason I don't use it is that I have a Mac OS computer, so I use abc notation software instead.

Andrew

Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
          BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Sincere thanks to each of you for your help. So I gather that my best and most ethical option is to purchase the Bagpipe Music Writer Gold program. I am quite willing to pay for the software; as a former part-owner of a software company, I believe deeply in using only valid software, and in compensating developers for their work. Besides, other options from a Google search seemed rather sketchy.

One last question: will BMW Gold read and print .bww files as well as .bmw files? I did not find an answer to this on the BMW web site. Most of my old files (acquired in 2006-08) are in .bww format. They are the ones I most wish to read and print again.

Cheers
            Eddie
            Eddie
            "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Selden View Post

One last question: will BMW Gold read and print .bww files as well as .bmw files? I did not find an answer to this on the BMW web site. Most of my old files (acquired in 2006-08) are in .bww format. They are the ones I most wish to read and print again.
              Yes, it will.

"What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong

Comment

Thank you, John.
                Eddie

Comment

Working...
                X