Piping site related, piping music related

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

    Yup, I'm still a Mac user and still looking for a solution that doesn't involve a PC mod. So, has anyone tried out this CelticPipes? http://www.celticpipes.net/
    The website says it takes BMW and BWW formats which would be great.
    I am also interested if anyone has bought it from the website and how the downloading and payment went. I'm not sure where they are located.

    Thanks in advance!
    "Those who dance are considered to be insane by those who can't hear the music."

  • #2
    Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

    Well you can try it out for free for 30 days.

    I personally don't like it. It takes too long to drop the notes on the staff for me. I would like to have the option to input via keyboard the note names and have the ability to move a note up or down by the arrow keys if I place the wrong note.

    The other thing that bothered me was that as soon as I installed it, it said my trial period was over. It still let me play around with it.

    Also, if you look at the requirements for each version, it lists Pentium 3 or 500mhz as the minimum for mac users, which we all know is just stupid. If you're going to make a mac version, at least put the right type of processor in the requirements list.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

      I've been using Celtic Pipes off and on for the last 30 days. I have not yet bought the program but I expect I will in the near future. With the dollar/pound exchange rate at the moment the price is a bit steep.
      I have a new iMac so CP system requirements are not a problem. The program accepts BMW and BWW formats.
      CP plays the tunes as well as prints them. I do not create new music with CP.
      I save the CP files as ABC files and open them in Harmony Assistant which I use for all my music. Then I have to lower the stems of the g, a, b notes and fix up the ornamental notes.
      Any users of Harmony Assistant or Melody Assistant who have figured out how to fix the stems and/or the ornaments automatically?
      In short, it's a good program to get the BWW files into my iMac.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

        Originally posted by Amy McG
        WIt takes too long to drop the notes on the staff for me. I would like to have the option to input via keyboard the note names and have the ability to move a note up or down by the arrow keys if I place the wrong note.
        I agree. For inputting music I prefer Electric Pipes, which has the keyboard option. This is much faster than drag and drop. On the other hand, Celtic Pipes has some nice features that other programs don't have and it is the only one, other than Bagpipe Music Writer, that creates BMW files.

        Originally posted by Amy McG
        Also, if you look at the requirements for each version, it lists Pentium 3 or 500mhz as the minimum for mac users, which we all know is just stupid. If you're going to make a mac version, at least put the right type of processor in the requirements list.
        It's true Macs don't use Pentium IIIs--newer Windows-based computers don't either, but I think the author's point is that you need an Intel-based Mac, which all new Macintoshes are and have been for the past year or so since Apple stopped using the Motorola processors. This does leave owners of the older, Motorola-based Macs out in the cold, which is certainly frustrating for them.
        .
        Ian
        http://www.thepipersden.net

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

          Use SHIFT-arrow to move notes about on the staff (as explained in the help file). Arrow keys on their own are used for scrolling, particularly when zoomed in.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

            Originally posted by acadianpiper
            ... I think the author's point is that you need an Intel-based Mac, which all new Macintoshes are and have been for the past year or so since Apple stopped using the Motorola processors. This does leave owners of the older, Motorola-based Macs out in the cold, which is certainly frustrating for them.
            Ummm...actually I use a Graphite G4 with the old Motorola processor and CelticPipes works just fine on my machine. I've had it for quite some time now and like it quite well. I was VERY fond of PiobMaster, but had to run it in emulation under Virtual PC. I like being native now with CelticPipes and particularly like the print output.

            I've also found the authors to be VERY receptive to input for changes and upgrades. I'm sure it will only keep getting better.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

              Originally posted by Randy J. Homer
              Ummm...actually I use a Graphite G4 with the old Motorola processor and CelticPipes works just fine on my machine. I've had it for quite some time now and like it quite well. I was VERY fond of PiobMaster, but had to run it in emulation under Virtual PC. I like being native now with CelticPipes and particularly like the print output.

              I've also found the authors to be VERY receptive to input for changes and upgrades. I'm sure it will only keep getting better.
              My mistake. I was under the impression that Apple's OS X 10.4 would run only on the newer Macs. I must confess I haven't used a Mac for several years and haven't kept up with the latest OS developments.

              I, too, have found Celtic Pipes' author to be very receptive to suggestions and requests for changes and improvements, which are usually implemented quickly. I also find CP's ability to read both PiobMaster and BMW files and to write BMW files invaluable. My only real complaint with it is that I don't like the drag-and-drop input method. But then I'm a keyboard user from way back and dislike taking my hands off the keys to use the mouse in any program.
              Ian
              http://www.thepipersden.net

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

                Originally posted by wrightbrain
                I am also interested if anyone has bought it from the website and how the downloading and payment went. I'm not sure where they are located.
                Can't talk about the "MAC" thing as I have never used one, but I have purchased on line without any problems. I used paypal and it was done in a matter of seconds.

                Try the trial edition for a few weeks and see how it goes!
                Randy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

                  I really like electric pipes, too bad it does run on a Mac. This is the only thing keeping me from buying a Mac.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

                    Originally posted by Steve S.
                    I really like electric pipes, too bad it does run on a Mac. This is the only thing keeping me from buying a Mac.
                    Well, the new Intel-based Macs can run Windows natively (no emulation overhead), so it might just be time to seriously consider a Mac.

                    Andrew
                    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
                    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Any Mac users try CelticPipes?

                      [QUOTE=Andrew T. Lenz, Jr.]
                      Originally posted by Steve S.
                      ...the new Intel-based Macs can run Windows natively (no emulation overhead), so it might just be time to seriously consider a Mac.
                      I wholeheartedly concur! I LOVE Macs! Please be aware though, you'll need VM's FusionWare or Parallels or some such if you want to run Windows simultaneously. Without one of them, you'll have to reboot the machine and start up in the new operating system, running only one at a time. With FusionWare (or equivalent) you can switch back and forth between the Mac OS, any version of Windows and/or any version of Linux as easily as switching between apps.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X