Other bagpipe software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other bagpipe software

Perhaps this was asked before, I don't know, here goes! Software company's are always upgrading their software to improve it and make it better. Is there another bagpipe software out there other then BMW Gold? Can BMW Gold get any better then it is? Is it something that can be improved and if so, what could be improved?
    "I may be out in left field but I am never out of the park"

Re: Other bagpipe software

There is one called PiobMaster. It uses a proprietary file format and entering the notes uses a drag and drop. Overall it is a good product, though I prefer BMW.

Could BMW be improved, yes. The two biggest issues I have, although they are minor, are:
    Errors: when BMW detects an error, it show the error but not where it occured. If you have entered a lot of notes, it can take a while before you can find the error. I do one line at a time then see if there are any errors.
    Playback: Sometimes the grace notes are not played and the ties are ignored.

Ray
    Ray

Comment

Yep, the errors and the grace notes. I have noticed this. Over all I like the program, I don't do a whole lot of writing, more listening then anything. It is nice that you can slow a tune down to learn it.
      "I may be out in left field but I am never out of the park"

Comment

Based on what's been written by the guy who wrote BMW and the guy who distributes BMW, it seems kind of unlikely that the program will ever be upgraded.

To me, the biggest issue with BMW is that it doesn't follow any of the rules of engraving (aka typesetting) music. To me, looking at a page printed in BMW is like listening to a piper playing out of tune. Just horrid.

I've tried a couple of the other bagpipe programs. More than one of them has serious problem in that they will allow the user to input too many notes into a measure. I use Sibelius, which is not specific to bagpipes, but makes beautiful engraving and easily has the best user interface of any notation software I've tried. Unfortunately it's very expensive -- I don't think I could justify the cost for my own use.

Comment

Originally posted by bob864
          Based on what's been written by the guy who wrote BMW and the guy who distributes BMW, it seems kind of unlikely that the program will ever be upgraded....
          I noticed that the advertisement in the current issue of The Piping Times states that BMW Gold is compatible with Windows Vista. I've noticed from other threads that some people have considerable difficulty in working around this compatibility.

Comment

For the past couple of months I've been working with CelticPipes to set piobaireachd. It has its peculiarities but nothing I haven't been able to work around. It functions pretty easily with a drag and drop format and produces an attractive product. It's available for both PC and Mac and won't break the bank. There is a free trial download available. Give it a try. I've been pretty satisfied.

Comment

Before I moved to Sibelius I found CelticPipes to be the best of the others. The BMW numbers script is a nightmare to me. It doesn't look like music at all. For me, it reduces music to code. People have different brains and wants though, and it seems very popular with very many people. But not for me!
              When Sorrow Calls (Piobaireachd's Ghost)
              Callum Beaumont - Mo Chridhe
              Lacrimae Duet - Willie McCallum, Jim McGillivray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Exten
                Errors: when BMW detects an error, it show the error but not where it occured. If you have entered a lot of notes, it can take a while before you can find the error. I do one line at a time then see if there are any errors.

Ray
                What I do here is use the edit> find feature. Copy the erroneous code into the find window and it takes you right to the problem. Usually.

Ken
                Ken MacKenzie
                Height by genetics, Width by brewery...

Comment

I am not trying to make a big deal of this bob, but what are these "typesetting rules" that you are having issues with? I know that many are put off by BMW because the beams are not angled in the general direction of the pitch of the notes, ie. going up or going down, diagonally...

I have some samples of pages from my collection of tunes (just self published) and maybe you will agree that something decent can be made with this program.

In fact just click on the link above... or hit my profile for my website link, there are at least 3 tunes that you can check out there... Yes you have to learn the codes, and despite this, I have come up with a "method" which keeps things very clear and easy to find. Many people just go into the code box and have at 'er with reckless abandon, like one big long run on string of code. That is NOT the way to do it!

This is the only weakness I find with the Help File, there is no real guidance when it comes to laying down code in a way that will be easy to check if modifications ever need to be made. I will say though, cut and paste can be a friend, or they can cause a TON of problems. Like ken said, "find & replace" can be very handy tools in this program, esp. when there is a bunch of repetitive code.

Cheers
                  My Musical Projects:
                  The Thistle Amongst the Lilies...Quebec's First Collection of Pipe Music!
                  Supersonic Tartan Death Machine

Comment

Originally posted by pipermacbear
                    I am not trying to make a big deal of this bob, but what are these "typesetting rules" that you are having issues with? I know that many are put off by BMW because the beams are not angled in the general direction of the pitch of the notes, ie. going up or going down, diagonally...

I have some samples of pages from my collection of tunes (just self published) and maybe you will agree that something decent can be made with this program.
                    Here's an example of a tune I set in Sibelius:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...torTheHero.jpg

If you set that in BMW, pretty much everything that comes out different is wrong. Maybe a better way to say that than "wrong" is "less than optimal."

The beaming is one issue (and the related stems), but a bigger issue is the horizontal note spacing -- shorter notes are supposed to take up less space than bigger notes; notes with embellishments take up more space than those without... These things don't just make the score look better, but they make it easier to understand, too, which makes learning to play the tunes correctly easier (which translates into less time).

Maybe it's a bigger deal for me because I spend a lot of time on illustration and layout. There are all kinds of small things too with BMW, like beams that extend over stems, or notes that don't fill spaces. If I have to learn a tune from a BMW printout, as often as not I'll reset it.

[I notice in the .jpg of Hector the Hero in the link, that some of the stems are missing. This is due to photobucket's re-sampling, not the notation software.]

Comment

I just started playing with it, but is Lilypond any better at this?

Comment

While I'm just a beginner I've had to type up a few tunes for clarity, like the 79th's Farewell To Gibraltar in the Green Book, which is split by parts.

I create files using ABC notation and there are a few opens source tools (abcm2ps,abc2midi) to produce pdfs, and midis out of that (Andrew's bagpipejourney.com mentions them).

To make it easier I use ABCExplorer, which keeps the whole process very simple. All I have to do is type the tune in ABC notation (or drag and drop notes) and it's ready to print or export as midi.

The pdf output is also of a good quality, pretty much as good as what Sibelius or Finale can produce, at least it looks that way to me...

I like ABC notation as I'm getting good enough at it that I can enter music at a much higher speed than drag and drop. A tune like 79th's Farewell to Gibraltar took me less than 10 mins to type up and format.

Lastly there are other programs like ABCExplorer available for win,mac,linux for free as well.

Did I mention that ABC files are an open format?

Comment

I agree that abcm2ps makes excellent looking output. That's what I used to use for setting fiddle tunes (prior to getting Sibelius).

You might want to check out Melody Assistant, from myriad-online.com
                          It reads and writes ABC and Midi files. It's really handy if you want to transpose tunes (like if you get an ABC tune from a fiddler, or if you want to create a harmony part). Unfortunately, it makes a mess of bagpipe embellishments.

Comment

Unfortunately, it makes a mess of bagpipe embellishments.
                            That's exactly why I ended up not using Melody Assistant. There are plenty of other programs that are almost as easy to use/practical... and free! Like ABCExplorer, which definitely doesn't have all the features that Melody Assistant, but there are other similar free products that do, and ABCExplorer does display embelishments correctly!

Comment

As alluded to above, here's my page explaining abc notation for bagpipes:
                              http://www.bagpipejourney.com/articl...bagpipes.shtml

As linked on my abc page, here's Barfly, a Mac OS X shareware abc notation editor:
                              http://www.barfly.dial.pipex.com/

Andrew
                              Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
                              BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Working...
                              X