Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Software for Piping

Hello Mates,
    I'm a member from a while back and have been absent.
    I had some software that was really helping me with my piping ,but when I got a new PC with Vista installed on it the program would no longer work.

I had a teacher who was an awesome guy ,but he passed away ,my little one was born and I put down both sets of pipes for a long while.

I am now at it again and would like to know what is the best bang for the buck when it comes to the "follow the bouncing ball " type of tune programs.

Any help would really be great.

All the best ,the Beerman
    9 notes ,how hard could it be

Re: Best Software for Piping

You may want to do a search and see if there is an answer to installing what you had on Vista.

Could save you a few dollars (more beer!) and a learning curve.

Best, John
    "What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong

Comment

My computer is running Vista Ultimate - 64 bit OS and I use Celtic Pipes software. It works perfectly well for me and I find the software easy to use. Bagpipe Music Writer software is not compatible with my OS.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM View Post
        My computer is running Vista Ultimate - 64 bit OS and I use Celtic Pipes software. It works perfectly well for me and I find the software easy to use. Bagpipe Music Writer software is not compatible with my OS.

JRM thank you for replying to this thread ,and for the advise.

I hope more members will weigh in here so that I may make the correct move in terms of being compatible , the price of the software best place to purchase it ,etc etc.

All the best ,Beerman
        9 notes ,how hard could it be

Comment

check out electric pipes:

http://www.bakedbean.co.nz/Electric_Pipes.htm

very inexpensive for the basic pacakge ($30) and very easy to use ..
          glenn

Comment

I too like electric pipes for the situation you are mentioning. Not only is it affordable, but it also highlights where teh beat should fall as you are following the tune which can be helpful in learning. It uses sampled piping sounds to create the notes, so the sound quality is comfortable to listen to. All around a great product!
            Piping IS Life

Comment

Welcome back, Beerman!
              Deut 23:1
              BLOG: http://frjohnpeck.com
              Best Bagpipe Merchandise at
              http://cafepress.com/presterjohn

Comment

Originally posted by JRM View Post
                Bagpipe Music Writer Gold is compatible with practically every windows operating system including all 64 bit versions (XP64, Vista 64, Windows 7 64). Send us an email at "[email protected]" and we'll send you the newest version asap.

Comment

I have some very old software I like to use for editing photos and what not....also have some old games I cant part with. I use compatibility mode on vista. Create a shortcut. Right click. Select properties. select compatibility tab. Check the box and select the latest OS that the software supports.

Comment

I use Sibelius. I don't think it's what you're looking for, but you might like to know of its existence when you're weighing everything up and deciding what to go for.
                    When Sorrow Calls (Piobaireachd's Ghost)
                    Callum Beaumont - Mo Chridhe
                    Lacrimae Duet - Willie McCallum, Jim McGillivray

Comment

Another vote for CelticPipes. Easy to work with and can export in multiple formats (BWW, as an image, etc.) and can import from multiple formats as well.

I just used it to produce a nifty little music book of favourite tunes for a few friends.
                      Cheers,

Bruce

Comment

In my opinion Bagpipe Music Writer Gold is grossly overpriced, especially when compared with its competition.

I'd say go with Celticpipes. It has, in my opinion, the easiest to use interface with a decent number of features. There are a few quirks, but it is still by far the best of the programs I've tried.

I think Electric Pipes has the best sound. However, the drawback is that you have to pay extra to edit drum scores and to combine scores (for seconds). Celtic pipes has both of these features built in.

Celtic pipes is quite expensive, but not nearly as much as BMWG. Electric Pipes is great for a tight budget. You can download demos of Celticpipes and Electric Pipes, which I encourage you to do before you purchase either.
                        --Michael

http://www.triadbagpiper.com/
                        http://www.raleighpipeband.com

Comment

Originally posted by replicant View Post
                          check out electric pipes:
                          http://www.bakedbean.co.nz/Electric_Pipes.htm
                          very inexpensive for the basic pacakge ($30) and very easy to use ..
                          I fully second EP. A five year user. Never got disappointed. Would never change. Check the free trial version.
                          Patrick

Comment

Well I paid the money to download Celtic Pipes onto my computer only to find that I cannot save anything I write. (That evil Windows Vista.)

I emailed the Celtic Pipes people and they said that it was a problem with Vista... so I'm out $50 and have no program that works.

I've also not been able to install BMWG.

I guess one has to be a computer programmer to make Vista work.
                            proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Have you tried the latest version of CelticPipes (v1.2)? It has no known problems now with Vista.

Comment

Working...
                              X