Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I did it... Pulled the trigger on first real set of pipes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I did it... Pulled the trigger on first real set of pipes.

I finally found the courage to order my first set. I went with the Duncan Macrae SL4 made by McCallum and will hopefully have them in hand in the next week or two. Special thanks to John and Griffin at J. Higgins for dealing with my many calls and emails over the last few months.

Congratulations! Welcome to a lifelong addiction to instruments!

Andrew
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr.
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Good choice! Congratulations!
      Jenni
      Don't take life seriously! You'll never get out of it alive!

Comment

Congratulations! Those are very nice pipes, a guy in the band plays McCallum-MacRaes and they sound and look great.

He has the same model, it's beautiful.

I so remember my first set! It was my High School graduation present from my Dad. It was 1975.

It felt like Christmas when those arrived! I had never so much as touched a set of pipes, just my Practice Chanter.
        Last edited by pancelticpiper; 02-18-2021, 04:48 PM.
        proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
          I had never so much as touched a set of pipes, just my Practice Chanter.
          This is pretty much me. I have only held pipes one time when an instructor I met had me blow into an old set with an XL bag... it was not what I imagined and I have a long road before these will be making anything that sounds like music. When I ordered my first chanter I had never even met a piper, I just knew I wanted to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by FlightMedic View Post

finally found the courage to order my first set.
            Excellent choice. Hoping you decided on Canmore Hybrid bag and EZ drone reeds. Shepherd molded chanter reed(s)

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post

Excellent choice. Hoping you decided on Canmore Hybrid bag and EZ drone reeds. Shepherd molded chanter reed(s)
              Yes to all but the chanter reed. I ordered a Higgins chanter reed. I also have a couple of brand new chanter reeds from Ezeedrone and Abbott that came from a friend.

Comment

Yes to all but the chanter reed.
                You’re off to a great start.
                I’m using Shepherd molded reeds ..easy /easy-medium..for McCallum chanters for two bands I coach ,.. druthered by McCallum and
                recommended by a Scots Guards Pipe Major friend.
                It’s been about a decade since using other reeds...tho I did also have good results with Chesney.
                Last edited by el gaitero; 02-27-2021, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Once again, the world class, award winning gurgle combo. Great drones. Chanter should sound nice too!

Comment

FlightMedic!!

First Set!!... Ain't nuthin' like it!!
                    My friends all know,
                    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Congrats! Griffin at J. Higgins also assisted me in purchasing my set of Duncan Macrae SL4 pipes. You're going to love them.

Comment

I finally found the courage to order my first set. I went with the Duncan Macrae SL4 made by McCallum and will hopefully have them in hand in the next week or two. Special thanks to John and Griffin at J. Higgins for dealing with my many calls and emails over the last few months.
                        Congratulations! I'm going to be purchasing a set of SL3s. I'll be using them with a Bannatyne hybrid bag, Gandy poly chanter, McPhee chanter reed, Kinnaird bass, and EZ drone tenors. It's going to take about 6 weeks for them to get here, but I'm sure they are going to be worth the wait. I had a hard time finding a dealer that had all the components I wanted. I love the classic look of a full artificial ivory set!

Comment

Awesome, FlightMedic!

I know how you feel from my own recent experience - decisions, decisions. Now the relief and anticipation.

Excelsior!
                          “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Working...
                          X