Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grade 4, Solo Piping, Adjudicators Critique Sheet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade 4, Solo Piping, Adjudicators Critique Sheet?

I made a recording of myself playing a 6/8 march. My BP teacher has asked me to critique it, then we'll discuss it together. I'm curious about adjudicators when they critique a solo player. Do they just have a blank sheet of paper and write their reactions to the performance on it? Or, do they have a kind of check off sheet which defines what the standard is for the grade they're judging? If it's more of a check off sheet I'd like to get a copy of one for Grade 4. Thanks.
    David Burrous
    One Piper Piping
    Lafayette, CO 80026
    [email protected]

You can visit my website and read my competition journal. It'll give you an idea. Things have changed a little it with regards to the forms, but it should help:
    https://bagpipejourney.com/journal/index.shtml

There are different philosophies for judges. Some are just making notes for placement in the contest, others write more helpful specific information for the competitor. That has gotten better over the years with judges being more helpful now than they were.

They are looking for good tuning of the drones and chanter, consistent/appropriate tempo, clean and consistent embellishments, musicality . . . staying on the tune, of course!

Andrew
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

So right, Andrew, on how things have changed. They have with band competitions, too. I remember when they used to be graded, rather than just placings. The grading gave us a better idea of how close we came to each other.

Your first comment sheet reminded me of my favorite student's (she's now a Gr 1 player, married to Alasdair Henderson...how they grow up!). Her F collapsed in her march, and I was bummed for her. I fixed it and she took a 1st in her slow aire. She took off from there. Just needed confidence. Thanks for the links to your "bagpipejourney". It really needs publishing!! It provides such brilliant perspective; and who doesn't benefit from perspective?

Comment

Thank you for your advice and links. I've created a document for my own use for self-adjudicating. I would be very grateful if any of you would take a look at it and suggest edits.

Thank you, David B.

Grade IV Standards

Self-Adjudication of Bagpipe Performance
        • ● Pipes: Pipers are playing on a full set of pipes.
        • ● Tempo: Slow tunes are played at tempo and quick tunes are played at a reduced tempo.
        • ● Embellishments: Occasional minor embellishment mistakes.
        • ● Musicality & Expression: An attempt at musicality and expression is made and sometimes achieved.
        • ● Focus: The judging focus at this grade is
          • ○ correct finger technique and
          • ○ ability to play simple tunes.
        • ● Tuning: Competitors may not be able to tune their own drones perfectly.
        • ● Drones: Drones not always steady throughout the tune.

Elements of Adjudication

● The following elements; technicality, musicality and tonality, make up the three areas that each piper will be subjectively judged on. Here is a short description of each.

○ a. Technicality refers to things such as the timing of the pulses in a taorluath or a doubling, or the placement of a birl or heavy strike in relation to the beat, or the clarity and crispness of gracenotes, or the consistency of gracing and embellishments. When we are looking at technicality we are assessing

■ the technical ability of the player, the ability to perform the notes, embellishments and gracings correctly.

○ b. Musicality refers to things like tune expression, consistent and correct treatment of phrasing, correct treatment of note values in beat groups, and tempo. When we are looking at musicality we are

■ assessing the musical impact of the tune and whether it comports with that tunes particular idiom.

● For instance, are you playing a 6/8 march with the accepted musical treatment for a 6/8 march.

○ c. Tonality refers to the tone of your instrument. This encompasses things like tuning of the chanter and drones, the balance of the drones to the chanter, the tone qualities of your instrument, the steadiness of your instrument. What we are looking for tonally is an instrument that is

■ well tuned, well balanced, and steadily blown, that produces a warm pleasing sound.

footer: Bagpipe Performance Critique: Standards and Rubric November 15, 2021 Page 1

__________________________________________________ ______________

Rubric for Grade IV Bagpipe Performance

Player’s Name:
        Name & Type of Tune:
        Audience: Sympathetic, Professional, or Competitive
        Date:
        Grade:
        Details:
        Performance Qualities Rarely meets Grade IV skill with quality and consistency Often meets Grade IV skill with quality and consistency Usually meets Grade IV skill for quality and consistency
        A. Technicality

the technical ability of the player, the ability to perform the notes, embellishments and gracings correctly.
        B. Musicality,

Phrasing

things like tune expression, consistent and correct treatment of phrasing, correct treatment of note values in beat groups, and tempo.
        C. Tonality

This encompasses things like tuning of the chanter and drones, the balance of the drones to the chanter, the tone qualities of your instrument, the steadiness of your instrument.
        D. Rhythm

E. Sound

F. Tempo

G. On the beat

I. Other:
        H. Left foot beat notes are accented
        Footer: Bagpipe Performance Critique: Standards and Rubric November 15, 2021

Page 2

David Burrous
        One Piper Piping
        Lafayette, CO 80026
        [email protected]

Comment

I don't know if it would ever catch on, but I would love to see a requirement where the solo competitor has to have printed copies of the tunes they're going to play. These would be given to the judge, who would place them under a plastic sheet and use a dry erase marker to underline parts they want to comment about AFTER the player has finished the tune.
          I had this idea after a competition in my early days where the judge started writing a comment in the second part of the tune...and continued writing through the third and fourth parts, probably not paying attention to those. I came in third, and the comment was complimentary. I just wish he had taken time to listen to the rest of the tune.
          Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

You might want to look at the Grade Level Recommendations from the Alliance of North American Pipe Band Associations. The various applications of the standard are explained on the first page.

https://www.anapba.org/images/PDF/20...v10-021220.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weithers View Post
              ... from the Alliance of North American Pipe Band Associations...
              I remember attending the 2011 ANAPBA meeting in Salt Lake City as a fly on the wall. Jeff Mann, the founder of ANAPBA, asked me to be the IT guy there. It was fun meeting the small group of key movers and shakers of all the associations in North America and see their minds at work trying to hammer out more consistent rules and share ideas. A rewarding experience. Oh, if you ever see a photo of the attendees on the stairs and I'm not in it, it's because I was the one operating the camera . . . I wasn't formally representing WUSPBA!

Andrew

Comment

In answer to twitchy fingers. I too over the years always wondered that judges that continually write during the performance may be missing a lot of what is being played. I, now as a judge, do a simple grid on the score sheet where I can make ticks if the part was played well or using my own short hand for an error or misque by the piper. This allows me to make a note of what I want to comment on afterwards but allows me to listen to 99% of the performance in order to give a fair assessment.

The other thing that used to bother me in my competative years was getting a very good remark in tone, expression and execution then getting rated in third place, or the like. There seemed to be no justification for placing. My system that I use I feel gives the piper a fairer shake of at least listening to them.
                Practice Hard, win easy!
                Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
                Vince Lombardi

Comment

On the topic of competition and communication between competitor and judge, one of the piping guests we had here (I think it was Jim Barrie, but sorry if if I don't recall accurately). It also illustrates generational changes:
                  A young competitor approached to introduce what he was going to play (King George V's Army). Being young, and I guess many don't read Roman numerals, said, "I'm going to play King George versus Army".

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post
                    "I'm going to play King George versus Army".
                    Ha! Quite funny! Thanks for sharing, Michael!

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                    X