Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Set of Pipes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Set of Pipes!

Bought my first set last Friday. There is a shop close by so I was able to do lots of looking. Thought about Poly but went with McCallum AB4D's. Went with the drone and chanter reeds my teacher suggested (Selbie, Shepherd). The shop is assembling them and I'll pick them up next week. Lots of bling so if my playing is bad my audience will be blinded by the bling.

Chuck

Congrats, chuckinphoenix! We all remember our first set, and the excitement that ensued. You chose a nice set; and I'm glad that you have an instructor and good guidance. Again, congrats and all the best on your piping journey (not to sort of steal Andrew's title; but, speaking of that, I'd recommend reading his excellent work). Cheers, Michael

Comment

Congratulations, Chuck and may you get at lest as many years of joy from your first pipes as I have from mine ( 42 years so far) The sounds like a good reed choice as well.
      Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Ah.. Chuck!! :-)

As with all of us--ain't nutthin' like--that First Set!! :-)

The Warmest of--Congratulations!! :-)

Pip01
        My friends all know,
        With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post
          ... all the best on your piping journey (not to sort of steal Andrew's title; but, speaking of that, I'd recommend reading his excellent work).
          Thanks for the plug, Michael!

Welcome, Chuck, to the world of pipe owners!

Andrew
          Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
          BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Smart choice, imo. Solid, functional, and nice-looking pipes with superb customer service. I might have gone with different reeds, but so what. With that taken care of, all you need to do is focus on the work.

Comment

Nice, Chuck! Now you can mark your years as AP (After Pipes).

For me, the bonus surprise was being able to read all of the newspaper articles and adverts that the pipes were packed in.
              “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Nice choice! You can't go wrong with McCallum pipes and those AB mounts look sharp.

Kevin

Comment

Selbies are an underrated but very well made reed, pretty much the only ones that go well in my old Lawries....
                  But an interesting feature, is that the tongue and bridle can be swapped out easily, and are supplied by the maker. Same for Kinnaird.
                  My beginner students all love to tinker with their set ups.
                  Easy repair can be a bonus...
                  Nice choice on your pipes!

Comment

Working...
                  X