Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie - about me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - about me

Good evening folks,

Firstly, let me start by thanking you very much for having me in your forum.

Let me introduce myself and how I came to be here.

I’m
    GordyC
    Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
    GordyC and live in central Scotland. I was first introduced to piping at primary school some 35+ years ago when I starting being taught on the chanter. Probably like most, my head was more full of mischief at that age and after a while I lost interest. This was after getting tuition once a week at school and then joining my local pipe band - Denny and Dunipace.

I never progressed onto the pipes and eventually girls became more important and I drifted away.

I’m fortunately due to retire in a year and a half, and the itch to learn the pipes properly has got me. I also lost my mum not too long ago and it was her that tried to get me piping all those years ago, so I’m desperate to do it for her too.

I got a PC two and a half weeks ago along with The National Piping Centre Tutor Book 1 (Beginner) and seem to be ripping my way through it (I’m at Lesson 19 of 27). A lot of lessons from many decades ago are coming back, and I seem to be picking it up again.

Through my work there are several pipe bands and I’m trying to get hold of an old workmate who was a Pipe Major, to see what his thoughts are and where he recommends I go for proper tuition.

Anyhows, that’s enough of me rambling on. Thanks again for having me and hopefully I can pester a few of you for some help when it comes to choosing pipes.

All the best!
    GordyC
    Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
    Last edited by GordyC; 12-28-2021, 12:22 PM.

G'day, GordyC. Thanks for the introduction and history. My condolences on your Mum's passing. My mother was the same about piping (as in wanting to see me playing), and I was fortunate to have learned before she passed. I'm sure that we are all pleased to have you with us on the forum, and it appears that you're back to it with good traction. As an instructor in a junior band, I recognize all the distractions you mentioned. In that band's case, peer pressure, combined with "butt kicks" from parents, kept most of them on track. The real measure, however, was how many continued once they'd aged out. Fortunately (and surprisingly), most have. But I digress....

Glad that you're back to it, progressing and with us. All the best; and we hope to hear more from you and your own journey. Cheers, Michael

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post
      G'day, GordyC. Thanks for the introduction and history. My condolences on your Mum's passing. My mother was the same about piping (as in wanting to see me playing), and I was fortunate to have learned before she passed. I'm sure that we are all pleased to have you with us on the forum, and it appears that you're back to it with good traction. As an instructor in a junior band, I recognize all the distractions you mentioned. In that band's case, peer pressure, combined with "butt kicks" from parents, kept most of them on track. The real measure, however, was how many continued once they'd aged out. Fortunately (and surprisingly), most have. But I digress....

Glad that you're back to it, progressing and with us. All the best; and we hope to hear more from you and your own journey. Cheers, Michael
      Thanks Michael. I’ve got my first lesson booked with a tutor in a couple of days. Finger crossed it goes well.

I’ve also started saving for my first set of pipes. My mate who was a former PM recommends McCrae’s so I’m looking at the SL4s. Think I need to work a fair bit of overtime though!

Comment

GordyC!! Welcome Back Aboard!! :-)

Happy to have you back--in The Piping Game!!--and--equally--
        here--on The Forum!! :-)

And--from the Old Adage--"There's no Time--like The Present!" :-)

Drawing upon your--Past History--and--if I may--offer a thought--
        about your being open to such--and about what to acquire--for
        your--soon to be--"new pipes."

Again--just a thought--and not a suggestion--for everyone must
        find--what best suits--themselves...

Being where you are--were I in your spot--I would cast about for
        a really good--Vintage Set (I am very partial to Old Lawries :-) to
        then bring forth--The Music--but only--if such--"Tickles Your Fancy."

Trusting that--how e'er you go--all shall--Come 'Round Right!! :-)

All the Best!!
        (And--Good Fortune!!--with that Old Double D!! :-)

Pip01

My friends all know,
        With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Originally posted by Pip01 View Post
          GordyC!! Welcome Back Aboard!! :-)
          Thanks you for your kind words of encouragement.

I had my first proper lesson last week with a highly recommended tutor and well respected piper who fortunately lives very close.

He provided good feedback and recommended I look at getting my hands on my first set of pipes.

Following this, and with much excitement, yesterday I ordered MacRae SL4s from McCallums. 6 - 7 weeks waiting time and the transition to pipes will hopefully begin.

All the best!
          Andrew Lenz
          Administrator
          Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 01-14-2022, 05:09 PM. Reason: Trimmed block quote

Comment

Working...
          X