Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balmoral not acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balmoral not acceptable?

I was chatting with a friend who competed recently and was docked for wearing a balmoral. The judge said it was not 'highland attire' and that he should have had on a glen.

-Matthew

Re: Balmoral not acceptable?

Were they sanctioned games? If yes,..there in no space on the scoresheet to give or take credit for what a contestant is wearing.....and obviously...unless the balmoral was actually a French beret or similar...a balmoral bonnet is about as Highland as one can get, and historically precedes a glengarry.

I hope you will follow up with more details on this and who was the adjudicator....esp if the result meant your friend was kept out of the winners circle. I'd agree if not in Highland dress there is basis to DQ.
    Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 08-21-2017, 06:29 AM. Reason: Removed completely unnecessary block quote of entire first post.

Comment

Who is the judge and why is he so stupid?

Comment

If this was a sanctioned competition, the judge should be reported. Policing dress is not their job. Quite apart from them being utterly wrong.
        http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
        -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

For my first competition as a kid, the judge was particularly grumpy, and yelled at me (literally) for not having a hat (I'd lost my glen the day before, so I was forced to play without a hat at all). I suppose I should be happy not to have been disqualified, allowing me to play anyways, though frankly, I didn't exactly enjoy it.

I didn't do well overall, though I'm pretty sure that my performance was the reason for my poor placing, rather than his issues with my attire. And his remarks about playing sans-glen seemed to remain verbal only, with the score sheet restricted to rather discouraging remarks on my playing.

Years later, I've learned that particular judge seemed to like presenting an apparently false facade of being grumpy and scary. People who knew him well have told me such. Silly, in my opinion, but whatever.

I'm shocked that you would apparently be docked in scoring (especially wearing a balmoral), though when you come down to it, there may well be judges out there who will harbor not-so-nice thoughts in their head when they're in the process of assessing first place over second, and etc.

Comment

Was it a competition sanctioned by the EUSPBA? IF so, EUSPBA rules clearly and specifically state on page 19 that "male competitors must wear a hat", but there's no description of said hat.
            http://euspba.org/wp-content/uploads...inal2A-jph.pdf
            Last edited by rpeitzsch; 08-21-2017, 09:18 AM.
            Why lacrosse is better than baseball:
            Because hitting a person and then running to a ball is better than hitting a ball and running to a person. From Lax Magazine

Comment

Following this subject, as I am currently wearing a Balmoral with my piping uniform. I'd like to get a clear picture of the whole story.

Comment

I'll email the fellow and ask if he can give more details..
                I would think a balmoral would be more traditional than a glen..

-Matthew

Comment

I heard back from the fellow, and he said it was in Charleston NC a few years ago.. The judge he mentioned is active on this forum, so I think I'll let him post the name if he wants to.

-Matthew

Comment

I've seen Nick Hudson (Professional piper in the EUSPBA) regularly wear a Balmoral in EUSPBA events. No problems. The rules don't specify what kind of bonnet to wear, so...?
                    Laura J. Neville, creator of The Inverness Poncho - raingear that fits in your sporran! And, The Airy Glengarry (TM) - the world's first and only breathable mesh glengarry!
                    Available for sale here: https://www.a2amazinggrace.com

Comment

Probably the same judge who mistook my 1982 Kintail bagpipe for antique Henderson, then complimented me on its tone thinking I was playing a cane set up. When he found out otherwise he went nuts!

Cheers -

Wes

Comment

You probably mean Charleston, South Carolina (SC) not North Carolina (NC).

I'm familiar with most of the usual judging suspects, it is hard to imagine anyone one of them so ignorant as to make that claim ---- unless the balmoral in question was some goofy, touristy Tam' o Shanter. But still, the rules apparently claim only that at bonnet needs to be worn.

I do recall an open ceol mor competition maybe 20 years ago when a competitor, who had played quite well, was dismissed with the comment, "The only thing wrong with this tune was you didn't wear a bonnet". Bottom of the result list and lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by rpeitzsch View Post
                          Was it a competition sanctioned by the EUSPBA? IF so, EUSPBA rules clearly and specifically state on page 19 that "male competitors must wear a hat", but there's no description of said hat.
                          http://euspba.org/wp-content/uploads...inal2A-jph.pdf
                          That's interesting. I wonder when they added the apparel section.

Comment

That's interesting. I wonder when they added the apparel section.
                            Just this year I guess, as it says at the top "Changes and additions are in bold type" and the apparel section is in bold..

You probably mean Charleston, South Carolina (SC) not North Carolina (NC).
                            Arg, yes you are correct. Sorry about that, I will blame it on eclipse madness.

-Matthew

Comment

It's funny. Out here in WUSPBA territory, the judges couldn't care less about hats. Call me a rebel, but I've never worn any headwear even once while solo competing. I never had a comment even once about it from a judge.

Andrew
                              Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
                              BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Working...
                              X