Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top quartile, 2nd quartile, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top quartile, 2nd quartile, etc?

So recently competed for the first time in an EUSPBA contest.

I'm noticing on the score sheets in an "Association Use Only" area, check marks for "performance ranks in (top/2nd/3rd) quartile for this grade when considering tone, technique, unison and expression." Those are the top 3 levels, and the bottom indicates below standard.

Besides this, there's also an area for "above grade level" ... which I think seems clear enough.

I'm new to all of this, so please bear with me. Am I correct in thinking this is a way for the judge to specify how well a competitor is doing within their grade as a whole? Or no?

Thanks all.

Cheers,
    ~Nate

Re: Top quartile, 2nd quartile, etc?

Kind of. In WUSPBA, we have a similar system. While there may be some variance in how individual judges apply this, AFAIK the association takes considerable efforts to ensure that all judges apply the same rigor in assigning CPL’s.

In recent years, I have been keener to learn about my CPL (quartile placement) than whether I got a medal, not that getting a medal is not fun, but the CPL’s are good for monitoring improvement within a grade.

For the last two years, WUSPBA have been hiding the CPL from the competitor sheet because some competitors would bitch about their ranking to the judge. Personally, I trust my judges as they’re highly experienced. Anyway, this year, we get to see our CPL’s again!

BTW: Competitor Performance Level = CPL

Charlie
    "Melancholy as the Drone of a Lancashire Bagpipe" (Behn, Aphra 1678. Sir Patient Fancy)

Comment

Originally posted by Green Piper View Post
      For the last two years, WUSPBA have been hiding the CPL from the competitor sheet because some competitors would bitch about their ranking to the judge. Personally, I trust my judges as they’re highly experienced. Anyway, this year, we get to see our CPL’s again!

BTW: Competitor Performance Level = CPL

Charlie
      Very helpful, thank you.

And I thought about that ... ie, whether the association might be tempted to keep such assessments internal ... but personally, I always favor transparency. Again, as you allude to, we are trusting these people to judge and rank us ... if we didn't, then we shouldn't compete for them.

I may be more interested in this CPL ranking as well ... after all, I don't particularly care for "beating" people in the competition that day ... I care far more about gaining the experience and improving as a player.

Thanks, btw for defining CPL ... you saved me from having to ask!

Cheers,
      ~Nate

Comment

I also noticed that only half of my score sheets had anything checked off ... so I guess I'm wondering if it's just something checked off at the judge's discretion?

Cheers,
        ~Nate

Comment

Sometimes a little light-hearted rivalry can be fun especially if neither competitor take the rivalry seriously.
          "Melancholy as the Drone of a Lancashire Bagpipe" (Behn, Aphra 1678. Sir Patient Fancy)

Comment

Originally posted by Green Piper View Post
            Sometimes a little light-hearted rivalry can be fun especially if neither competitor take the rivalry seriously.
            Ha .. well said. =)

Comment

Working...
            X