Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competing with a Slow March?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Competing with a Slow March?

Hello everyone!

I’m new to competitive piping, in fact my first competition is going to be this coming February, so please be gentle with me.

I was just wondering, can you submit a slow march to compete with in the slow air category for grade 4? I’m unfamiliar with the various details of competition, and how specific judges want you to be with tune type.

Thanks for any and all help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Competing with a Slow March?

Originally posted by salmunmousavi View Post
    Hello everyone!

I’m new to competitive piping, in fact my first competition is going to be this coming February, so please be gentle with me.

I was just wondering, can you submit a slow march to compete with in the slow air category for grade 4? I’m unfamiliar with the various details of competition, and how specific judges want you to be with tune type.

Thanks for any and all help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the WUSPBA rule book name the contest type versus the venue event naming? Slow air or slow march?
    There was a clarification made some years back in EUSPBA rules.... the rules had inadvertently used air and march terminology interchangeably ...so in the same ‘slow march’ event it might have somebody playing e.g. a highly stylized and meandering Tully like version of Dawning of the Day as an ‘air’.....against someone playing same tune as a 4/4 ‘March’.
    A ‘judge’s dilemma’ ( get it?) ..and/or a DQ for one contestant.
    Good to ensure the venue event naming and your tune is consistent with the rules.

Comment

Re: Competing with a Slow March?

At grade 4:

Make sure your tune follows whatever the structural requirements are. If it needs to be 2 eight bar parts repeated then do that. Or whatever.

Beyond that, I don't know that anyone can really define the difference in GHB music between a slow march and a slow air. As far as I can tell they're really pretty much the same.

Unlike Irish music, we don't really have free time. At least not in light music.

Comment

Working...
      X