Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo MSR competition, stopping to tune before strathspey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo MSR competition, stopping to tune before strathspey

Hi all,

Quick question out of curiosity, I was futzing about on youtube, and ran across what appeared to be a fairly high-level player doing his MSR for a judge at the Bathgate games some years ago.

Playing sounds quite nice, but one point of curiosity, he stopped to tune his drones again following his march, and before launching into his strathspey.

I'm new to all of this, but still, I've heard my fair share of solo MSRs. I've never seen that done before.

Is this commonplace?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ek0vd9Y_Bw

Thanks all,
    ~Nate

Re: Solo MSR competition, stopping to tune before strathspey

Actually, quick addendum ... it looks like he didn't actually tune. He shoved his bag up under his arm, and gave his mouth piece a wipe.

But still, same question.

Thanks to any and all.

~Nate

Comment

I didn't watch the video, but I've never heard of anyone doing that before. It seems highly unusual. I'd also be interested to hear others' thoughts.

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Strange...the judge doesn't look phased, either. Must be in CPA rule book somewhere.

Comment

I competed up to Gr2 solos and I've never seen that. Traveled all over the south, south east, up the east coast, and into Canada. That is a first. Maybe he cleared it with the judge before hand..?

-Matthew

Comment

Some competitions are March......then S&R ie 2 individual comps. You can play all the way through if you want, but most have a short break between to steel the nerves

Comment

Originally posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
              Some competitions are March......then S&R ie 2 individual comps. You can play all the way through if you want, but most have a short break between to steel the nerves
              Yes.....two separate events...and supposed to be judged by different judges iirc...unless the euspba rules have changed on this point within the past several years after clarifying/establishing it .
              You mentioned Bathgate...maybe RSPBA is different..?

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
                Yes.....two separate events...and supposed to be judged by different judges iirc...unless the euspba rules have changed on this point within the past several years after clarifying/establishing it .
                You mentioned Bathgate...maybe RSPBA is different..?
                Can be the same judge

Comment

In Amateur competition (UK) it's sometimes two separate events. On those occasions, even if it's the same judge it's acceptable to stop after the march. In my (admittedly quite limited) experience, the judge will tell you if you can do this.

Comment

It's probably a M&SR event.

When I competed at the G3 CLASP World Solos a few years ago, that's what the event was.

Thankfully I was las up, so I watched some of the earlier competitors to see how they did things (I'd never competed in the CLASP before, only WUSPBA) and some stopped between the March and SR and some went straight through as a full MSR.
                    You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
                      Can be the same judge
                      Yeah...I think. Its not crystal clear in euspba imo...

In any grade where a March contest is run as a separate event from a Strathspey and Reel contest, the two separate events may not be run simultaneously. "Simultaneously" is defined as requiring a competitor to play the march and then requiring the strathspey & reel event to be played immediately thereafter before the same judge.

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
                        Yeah...I think. Its not crystal clear in euspba imo...

In any grade where a March contest is run as a separate event from a Strathspey and Reel contest, the two separate events may not be run simultaneously. "Simultaneously" is defined as requiring a competitor to play the march and then requiring the strathspey & reel event to be played immediately thereafter before the same judge.
                        I don't know, the text seems to clearly state it can't be the same judge. So you would stop after the march, go to another tent and play the S&R for another judge.

-Matthew

Comment

I've even seen cases in which a competitor will break down in the March portion, touch up the drones, recompose himself, and then play the strathspey and reel. Just a different way of staging the contest than what's commonly done in North America.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks to all for your input.

Cheers,
                            ~Nate

Comment

Interesting thread,
                              When I competed at the Perth games a few years ago, there were I believe 48 in the light music events. It was a March, Strathspey & Reel, and Jig contest. The March was played, re-tuning allowed and then the S&R, more re-tuning if required, then the jig was played. An efficient way to conduct the contest, especially with 48 competitors too
                              Bill Peters
                              www.thunderbaybagpiper.com

"...Everything is possible for him who believes" Mark 9:23

Comment

Working...
                              X