Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo chanter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo chanter

Competing pipers, What chanters are you competing with?
    I'm playing McC2 and G1 Platinum

I need a new ABW and am between;
    Gandy
    Hardie Infinity
    Colin Kyo
    Was also looking at the McCallum Ceol.
    Been reading the Gandy is made by, Kyo modeled by McCallum.
    Thanks for you time and input.

Re: Solo chanter

Naturally, you'll get a gazillion opinions!

What you're playing is an outstanding combination. That said, of your choices, I'd go with the Colin Kyo and stay with the G1 Platinum.

Comment

Originally posted by connpiper View Post
      Looks like a couple sentences got garbled together there.

To clarify, Colin Kyo chanters are nothing like McCallum chanters. They are separate companies on different continents.

If you have indeed read there is a relationship between Colin Kyo and McCallum, where did you read this? Iíll gladly remove their head from their.....sand.

I play Colin Kyo in solos. Tried a bunch of chanters but never found anything better. Since ceased looking for anything better.
      My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

ABW Shepherd with MacLellan reed.

Seems that any modern chanter should work fine for solo as long as it is paired with the right reed and compliments the drones.

For my smaller hands/fingers, the Shepherd is great. I tried a Kyo a few years ago, it was a great fit for my fingers, but taming the high G was problematic. At least it was for me, cannot be sure about other pipers who play in the high and dry of Colorado.

Charlie
        "Melancholy as the Drone of a Lancashire Bagpipe" (Behn, Aphra 1678. Sir Patient Fancy)

Comment

Old pre-Lee Naill and a MacAlister reed ;)
          Canít go wrong with a Naill. I find the spread to be smaller than the MC2, but not so small that itís hard for people with larger fingers like the Kyo.

Personally, I owned both an MC2 and a Kyo laminate. Sold both as the tone and comfort of the Naill is better than anything else out there.

Recently bought another pre-Lee Naill, but the newer ones are just as good (if not better)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
            Looks like a couple sentences got garbled together there.

To clarify, Colin Kyo chanters are nothing like McCallum chanters. They are separate companies on different continents.

If you have indeed read there is a relationship between Colin Kyo and McCallum, where did you read this? Iíll gladly remove their head from their.....sand.

I play Colin Kyo in solos. Tried a bunch of chanters but never found anything better. Since ceased looking for anything better.
            I am aware they are separate, thought I read it somewhere but now I can't locate where I thought I saw it. I have been reading your reviews and this is where I am. Thanks for the imput

Comment

Competing pipers, What chanters are you competing with?
              I'm playing McC2 and G1 Platinum

To echo others here...what youíre playing now is superb. If you want to fiddle with other reeds..Macphee is as recommended by the Mcc2 designers...you might already know that.
              If youíd rather expand a drawerful of unused chanters...any you have listed would all suffice....it usually still comes down to Ďon the dayí.

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
                To echo others here...what youíre playing now is superb. If you want to fiddle with other reeds..Macphee is as recommended by the Mcc2 designers...you might already know that.
                If youíd rather expand a drawerful of unused chanters...any you have listed would all suffice....it usually still comes down to Ďon the dayí.
                You definitely are correct sir. Started mix matching reeds early, settled on the G1. I have heard McPhee, sure Iíve tried it at done point earlier in my playing.
                Basically just trying to play with my sound, experiment if you will.
                Eventually will pick up the others Iíve mentioned maybe more pipes too, tiz fun but frustrating lol.
                Iíve settled on the Kyo, see how it goes!
                Happy Piping and good luck this season

Comment

You definitely are correct sir. Started mix matching reeds early, settled on the G1. I have heard McPhee, sure Iíve tried it at done point earlier in my playing.
                  Basically just trying to play with my sound, experiment if you will.
                  Eventually will pick up the others Iíve mentioned maybe more pipes too, tiz fun but frustrating lol.
                  Iíve settled on the Kyo, see how it goes!
                  Happy Piping and good luck this season
                  You wonít be disappointed with the Kyo....and the G1 reed likewise.

Comment

Let me preface with the disclaimer that I "compete" at grade 4 level, where choice of chanter isn't much of an issue.

That said, I recently got a second-hand Strathmore blackwood chanter to use for solo playing, and I love it. Very comfortable for my bony hands, and very good resonance with the drones. I have a Husk reed in it at the moment - the combination was pretty much plug and play. I don't know when it was made, but it pitches at 476, I think he (Murray Henderson) makes them more around 480Hz now, unless you specify otherwise.

Comment

I am a student of Bruce's, and I own a Gandy chanter, and I can tell you very definitively that this is not true. I remember when the chanter was under development, and Bruce was flying over there regularly to have the chanters adjusted and updated before the public launch of them. They were designed by the folks at McCallum with advice from Bruce and Alex, and are made at McCallum's facility in Kilmarnock.

Comment

The McC2 is a great chanter, but with the pitch increase in solos in the last few years, more people are favoring models that are a bit higher pitched, 480-485.

Comment

Originally posted by piper_hm View Post
                          The McC2 is a great chanter, but with the pitch increase in solos in the last few years, more people are favoring models that are a bit higher pitched, 480-485.
                          I was recently invited to play with a local fire dept pipe band and found out that they are playing poly McC2 chanters pitched at 475 Hz. I had shown up at their band practice with my band poly McCallum chanter, which is playing at 480 Hz. Had to switch over to my solo reed, which is set to my ABW McC2 chanter (my solo chanter) to play with them. Next time I will take my solo set. Unusual to run into any band playing lower than 479 Hz unless they are using the B-flat chanters. 475 Hz or lower is usually a pitch for solo gigs, in my experience.

Cheers -

Wes

Comment

Originally posted by Green Piper View Post
                            ABW Shepherd with MacLellan reed.

Seems that any modern chanter should work fine for solo as long as it is paired with the right reed and compliments the drones.
                            I agree. Chanter and sentiments on modern chanters

I find the Shepherd is a fantastic chanter, I either use a Shepherd Moulded reed or a Troy-MacAllister, both with pleasing results.

If I was in the market for something else, a Naill or RJM solo would be tickling my fancy.

Comment

I have an McC2 and I love the tone. I have a hard time getting any reed to play in tune (specifically a wicked sharp high G) under certain weather conditions. I'm sure it's user problem, not a chanter problem. But I can take any of the reeds I'm having trouble with and put them in my Soutar chanter and they play in tune.

So I started using my Soutar chanter for solo competition because it was one less thing to worry about. If you don't have any problems reeding the McC2 then that wouldn't be an issue for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X