Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo chanter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solo chanter

I'm months behind on my interwebbing. I thought there would be more replies to this thread.

I have an MCC2 ABW and poly though I'm curious about the RGH Infinity.
    "Bagpipes? I dare ya." - true story how I started in piping.

Comment

Right now I'm mostly playing a c. 2018 Naill Blackwood chanter with MacPhee reeds.

That said, I'm considering picking up a Kyo chanter to fool around with, as the "feel" of the chanter is said to be quite unique.

Comment

I've got a G1 Gold blackwood on the way. I've always been a fan of their products, including the poly chanters and Platinum reeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Stiubhard View Post
          Right now I'm mostly playing a c. 2018 Naill Blackwood chanter with MacPhee reeds.

That said, I'm considering picking up a Kyo chanter to fool around with, as the "feel" of the chanter is said to be quite unique.
          I can confirm that comfort level. I just got a chanter from Murray Huggins in blackwood. Super easy feel, great tone, and so far, no tape.
          Stewart Keith

Comment

This really got me thinking.... For the last 25years I've not played another chanter make other than Shepherd. For the last 20 years I've played the same Shepherd Mk3 ABW.

Am I missing something? Some performance increase that another brand of chanter will give? What sort of percentage performance enhancement would I realistically have chopping and changing? 0.05%? Is it really the difference between the W and best of the rest? Especially at the level 99%of us play at.

Comment

The main thing, I think, is knowing your instrument inside out and upside down. There are lots of decent chanters out there, and I think if any really held a real edge everyone would be using it. That has been true in the past, but not nowadays.

Having played the MC^2 for quite a few years now, I feel I know it well, and I like how it behaves, but I played that Shepherd for long enough and I'd have no problems going back to it.

But you're quite right, for most of us the big improvement is an instrument that starts,. stays and finishes in tune.
              BagpipeTechnique.net
              Tunes from Donald MacDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

Am I missing something? Some performance increase that another brand of chanter will give? What sort of percentage performance enhancement would I realistically have chopping and changing? 0.05%? Is it really the difference between the W and best of the rest? Especially at the level 99%of us play at.
                Not every chanter is easy to reed, not every player blows the same, not everyone's hands fit every chanter. Some makers adjust the spacing that some players find easier to do, say, low hand embellishments on. Finding something that is pleasing to your ear, and inspires confidence in your playing is especially helpful to the average player. Not everyone can coax the best out of the vast majority of chanters like a more experienced and higher graded piper can. Not every chanter pitches where you want it to. There are many reasons to look at other chanters.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to get a great chanter that suits them to a tee early on.

To be sure, there is a bit of the latest greatest syndrome going on, and there are a lot more choices out there now than there were even 20 years ago. And there is certainly no harm in supporting your local pipemaker by buying another chanter.
                Stewart Keith

Comment

Agree with these sentiments, for sure. I think it's all just personal preference. "Performance" is very much a subjective thing for pipe chanters, and of course we all know it's more about who's filling the bag than anything else!

For me, I like to try a new chanter once in a while. I love tinkering with sound, trying new things to "chase the ideal sound" (that is, my ideal sound, which tends to change over time). Tweaking the pitch a bit, trying a new chanter/reed combo etc.

I was playing an older ABW MacCallum chanter for a while, enjoyed it, was getting very good sound out of it, but wanted to work with something new, so I went to the Naill. Very comfortable, took me a bit longer to optimize the sound though. Now I'm considering mixing it up with a Kyo. That said, I tend to keep most of my old chanters, so I can always revisit them to fiddle around with.

Comment

I swap around among my Mcc2, Naill,and Shepherd Mk3 chanters.

Each is great...fantastic,.. when properly set up and played in.

It always comes down to the reed, fine tuning and ambient.

Itís the same for grade 5/4 solos or the Northern Meeting elite.

The constant for me is my drones and the drone reeds settled on for a good while.

Comment

Originally posted by CalumII View Post
                      I think if any really held a real edge everyone would be using it. That has been true in the past, but not nowadays.

But you're quite right, for most of us the big improvement is an instrument that starts,. stays and finishes in tune.
                      Exactly my thoughts. Chanters, and reeds nowadays are fantastic. No massive box of reeds rifling through for hours (it was fun though).

Originally posted by olypiper View Post
                      Not every chanter is easy to reed, not every player blows the same, not everyone's hands fit every chanter. Some makers adjust the spacing that some players find easier to do, say, low hand embellishments on. Finding something that is pleasing to your ear, and inspires confidence in your playing is especially helpful to the average player. Not everyone can coax the best out of the vast majority of chanters like a more experienced and higher graded piper can. Not every chanter pitches where you want it to. There are many reasons to look at other chanters.

To be sure, there is a bit of the latest greatest syndrome going on
                      Yeah, that's a fair point on comfort. But otherwise I'm personally struggling for benefits

And I completely agree, the latest greatest syndrome is well established. All it is good for, is releaving folk of money, but, I suppose may produce a placebo effect instead?

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
                      The constant for me is my drones and the drone reeds settled on for a good while.
                      Yes, sir. Drones settled and stable.

So if we say you get a 0.05% performance boost from changing chanter (maybe 1% for comfort), how many % for good steady blowing? Or how many percent for well structured practice focusing on solid technique?

There is far more improvement to be had from within without spending ££££$$$ on more stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by connpiper View Post
                        Competing pipers, What chanters are you competing with?
                        I'm playing McC2 and G1 Platinum

I need a new ABW and am between;
                        Gandy
                        Hardie Infinity
                        Colin Kyo
                        Was also looking at the McCallum Ceol.
                        Been reading the Gandy is made by, Kyo modeled by McCallum.
                        Thanks for you time and input.
                        So, I suppose reflecting now, what is the problem (perceived or otherwise) with the McC2 chanter? Why the desire to change?

Any of the above will be fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                        X