Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunes without High Gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunes without High Gs

Just wondering if anyone has favorite tunes that DON'T have High Gs as anything other than gracenotes. 6/8s, 2/4s, Strathspeys, Reels, Jigs, whatever you got. Thanks.
    "...peak performance begins with the preparation and practice phase, not in the execution phase, of a particular activity." Dr. Walter Doyle Staples

There are millions of tunes that are pentatonic A (notes from ABC EF) in particular and also D (DEF AB). Just learn to recognise that tonality and it's generally really obvious when a tune is pentatonic (or nearly so).
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post
      There are millions of tunes that are pentatonic A (notes from ABC EF) in particular and also D (DEF AB). Just learn to recognise that tonality and it's generally really obvious when a tune is pentatonic (or nearly so).
      Excellent...glad to hear that...hope it is easy for some to share their favorites...
      "...peak performance begins with the preparation and practice phase, not in the execution phase, of a particular activity." Dr. Walter Doyle Staples

Comment

Off the top of my head, and a late night pint or two in, Murdo's Wedding, Glendural Highlanders (6/8 march, save one G near the end), Suo Gan, The Skye Boat Song, The Duck (jig), Dancing Feet (reel), Captain Lachlan MacPhail of Tiree (reel) come to mind.
        But, if I might ask, why do you want tunes without high G? Is there a difficulty with your chanter/reed combo?
        Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

[QUOTE=TwitchyFingers;n1372949 Is there a difficulty with your chanter/reed combo? [/QUOTE]

dunno, really...I live in what is basically a desert that has irrigation, which is a way of saying there is not much humidity here...so High Gs seem to be a problem more often than not...all the other notes tune nicely or close and High G is off the scale or a low High A..so it goes...i was thinking 32nd note High Gs might be OK...interestingly, there also seem to be a number of tunes with just a couple of those...

Comment

[QUOTE=macdaddy65;n1372961
            ...so High Gs seem to be a problem more often than not...all the other notes tune nicely or close and High G is off the scale or a low High A..

[/QUOTE]

...curious,...what chanter/reed combo...what pitch?

Comment

Working...
            X