Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tunes without High Gs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• el gaitero
    replied
    [QUOTE=macdaddy65;n1372961
    ...so High Gs seem to be a problem more often than not...all the other notes tune nicely or close and High G is off the scale or a low High A..

[/QUOTE]

...curious,...what chanter/reed combo...what pitch?

Leave a comment:

• macdaddy65
    replied
    [QUOTE=TwitchyFingers;n1372949 Is there a difficulty with your chanter/reed combo? [/QUOTE]

dunno, really...I live in what is basically a desert that has irrigation, which is a way of saying there is not much humidity here...so High Gs seem to be a problem more often than not...all the other notes tune nicely or close and High G is off the scale or a low High A..so it goes...i was thinking 32nd note High Gs might be OK...interestingly, there also seem to be a number of tunes with just a couple of those...

Leave a comment:

• TwitchyFingers
    replied
    Off the top of my head, and a late night pint or two in, Murdo's Wedding, Glendural Highlanders (6/8 march, save one G near the end), Suo Gan, The Skye Boat Song, The Duck (jig), Dancing Feet (reel), Captain Lachlan MacPhail of Tiree (reel) come to mind.
    But, if I might ask, why do you want tunes without high G? Is there a difficulty with your chanter/reed combo?

Leave a comment:

• macdaddy65
    replied
    Originally posted by Calum View Post
    There are millions of tunes that are pentatonic A (notes from ABC EF) in particular and also D (DEF AB). Just learn to recognise that tonality and it's generally really obvious when a tune is pentatonic (or nearly so).
    Excellent...glad to hear that...hope it is easy for some to share their favorites...

Leave a comment:

• Calum
    replied
    There are millions of tunes that are pentatonic A (notes from ABC EF) in particular and also D (DEF AB). Just learn to recognise that tonality and it's generally really obvious when a tune is pentatonic (or nearly so).

Leave a comment:

• macdaddy65
    started a topic Tunes without High Gs

Tunes without High Gs

Just wondering if anyone has favorite tunes that DON'T have High Gs as anything other than gracenotes. 6/8s, 2/4s, Strathspeys, Reels, Jigs, whatever you got. Thanks.
Working...
X