Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Target tempos for Grade 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target tempos for Grade 3

What are desirable tempo ranges for grade 3 solo competition?

Well, for 2/4 I'm going a little over 60bpm, but probably will up that slightly. Pros seem to be about 70bpm. Aim to keep your technique clean, but not so slow the tune falls apart. And keep the tempo consistent through the tune. Main thing is to get out there and give it a crack, and enjoy it!

Comment

Regarding 2/4 marches, I agree with Bram. A bit depends upon the tune; but most I've heard in Gr 3 are around the 62-65 range. Some, again depending upon the tune, are closer to 70.

Comment

Thank you both.

Comment

Whatever tempo your tune is best executed at. It’s better to play at 56 if your March is well executed than chasing 60 if it’s falling off the rails.

I like to speed my tune up every few weeks on the metronome. I’ll start at 50 if I need it. I work on the bars I have issues with separately. Once everything is good I speed it up two beats per minute. I’m not going to lie. This method is laborious and very annoying at times. However it yields clean playing that has a good chance of getting on the prize list of everything else is working out ( no break down or issues with the pipes)
          I also work on the part I play the worst first. This has helped me immensely

Comment

Originally posted by Piperalpha View Post
            Whatever tempo your tune is best executed at. It’s better to play at 56 if your March is well executed than chasing 60 if it’s falling off the rails.
            I agree, in part. One is wise to practice tunes at a much slower tempo, ensuring execution is as it should be before moving the tempo up. I said I agree "in part", for the BGP asked about Gr 3. If a competitor has to play a competition 2/4 at 56, falling off the rails at 60, I submit that they're not Gr 3 level.

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post

I agree, in part. One is wise to practice tunes at a much slower tempo, ensuring execution is as it should be before moving the tempo up. I said I agree "in part", for the BGP asked about Gr 3. If a competitor has to play a competition 2/4 at 56, falling off the rails at 60, I submit that they're not Gr 3 level.
              hahaha. Most of the time I listen to a grade three contest I wonder who let so many grade four player in. All kidding aside a lot of players could benefit from playing the tune slower to begin with. The grace notes should still be roughly to same size no matter how fast you're playing.
              Last edited by Piperalpha; 07-25-2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Tempo is one of my gripes about solos.

I see people who play tunes at a slowish, but acceptable, tempo get beat by people playing tunes extremely slowly with laboured expression and execution, like they're seeing the music for the first time.

Even in Grade 3.

It feels like it's not a "music" event at all.
                proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I'm with you, pancelticpiper, on tempos...in both directions, and in both solos and bands. You also hit it on the head regarding "music". I've seen, and worked with (or tried), band that play things so blisteringly fast that there is nothing but a pile of questionable notes spilled out on the floor. I've seen it in both ways with solos; whether due to nerves or other. It's also why I suggest soloists and bands to get video recordings. When watching, given that many do not realize what they're doing in the moment, it's not usual for many to say something along the lines of "Really? I thought I was playing the tempo spot on." (they are often faster or slower than they thought).

Comment

Working...
                  X