Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EUSPBA - Band Judging Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EUSPBA - Band Judging Changes

Is there any truth to the rumors I have heard that the EUSPBA will be changing to a new judging system soon?

I have been told that the EUSPBA will be going to just ONE piping judge and one drumming judge who ccomment on their section and then collectively comment on the ensemble. Is this true?

Also, to hijack my own topic, has anyone heard of MAP coming to the states?
    Piping IS Life

Re: EUSPBA - Band Judging Changes

Originally posted by WileyBagpipes:
    Also, to hijack my own topic, has anyone heard of MAP coming to the states?
    It's mentioned quite prominently on the SUSPBA website, so I would almost guess if it came anywhere, it would be there first.
    Lisa

If you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing.

Comment

The topic of judging splits came up again this year at the EUSPBA AGM. Right now, the rule is 60% Piping, 20% Ensemble, 20% Drumming. This will be the rule for 2007.

We discussed the split issue for quite some time with several different possibilities being discussed. The AGM was pretty much an open forum with many suggestions being put out on the floor. Some of the suggestions were: 50-25-25, 20-60-20, 33-33-33, and even 100% ensemble was mentioned.

No decisions can be made at the AGM without a quorum. The topic was passed on to the Music Board. This topic is presented regularly. I don't remember the wording of the proposal. However, it included reviewing statistical analysis for ties and other anomolies. It is quite possible that no changes will be made to the Judging for pipe bands.

The long and short of it is that the current system of 60-20-20 is the rule and will stay the rule until another recommendation comes out of the Music Board. The Music Board is, of course, reviewing the MAP program. As far as I know, there have been no recommendations from the Music Board to adopt it as of the AGM.

As for the MAP program, the EUSPBA already has the Quick March Medley selection for Grade V & IV. The EUSPBA has had the QMM since the early 1990's in order to have the beginning grades focus on the basics rather than stumbling through strathspeys, reels, etc. The QMM doesn't currently have a set list or the same judging requirements as the MAP program, but it does help provide a system for focusing on the basics.
      Thompson McConnell

Comment

I guess I should also mention that the EUSPBA has announced a rule change for Grade V competition. The EUSPBA has announce a time limit change for the Grade V Band contest. They are phasing in a time change over the next two years. See the EUSPBA website for details.

EUSPBA Rule Changes
        Thompson McConnell

Comment

Thank you Mr. McConnell,

That pretty much answers to what I have heard bantered around.

The other difference from the standing QMM format and the MAP system as I undertsnad it is that all of the tunes to select from on the MAP list are in 2/4 time, where as in the QMM we are able to use (I believe) any of the simple time music march styles.
          Piping IS Life

Comment

Working...
          X