Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PPBSO letting Gr 3 light music players compete in Gr Piob comps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPBSO letting Gr 3 light music players compete in Gr Piob comps!

Just wondering if anyone thinks I'm outta line here. This summer I've been competing in Ontario's Gr 4 level piobaireachd competitions (novice Piob-ground and next two passages) a number of the guys I'm competing against and not surprisingly getting beaten by are also taking prizes in the grade 3 comps in light music. I'm not saying that I'm gods gift to piping here but it seams really unfair to me that they are allowed to compete in this level. I've been thinking about sending an email to the PPBSO ( not that they'll give a rats ass I'm told) but I'm wondering if anyone else here thinks this is totally wrong??

Re: PPBSO letting Gr 3 light music players compete in Gr Piob comps!

It's usually the other way around here in BC Pipers country. many pipers that play light music in Grade 4 but play Piobaireachd in Grade 3, so they can play the whole tune. The way you described doesn't make much sense to me.
    Stewart Keith

Comment

I'm from Victoria. The BCPA is run really well.

Comment

Turns out that even if you're a grade one light music competitor you can still enter in the novice piobaireachd here. Not very encouraging for a grade 4 piper!

Comment

So a grade 3 light music player's advantage over a grade 4 player's in piobaireachd, more experience and that is all. Why? Piobaireachd is a different style, different embellishments, and different expectations.
          Serving Jello with a ladle since... forever

Comment

I think there are a number of advantages there. In grade three you will have achieved a level of more controlled fingering and steadier blowing than most grade 4 pipers would have. You are already expected to play longer sets of music like full MSR's rather than a single 2/4 march. . I personally think that if you can play at a grade 3 level (or higher!) you should be expected to play a full piobaireachd. There are quite a few short piobs to play at that level but it would leave the pipers of each grade an equal playing field to compete fairly and develop their skill.

Comment

But in the end I guess the powers that be here agree with you and that's why it is the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jackhawkpiper97 View Post
                So a grade 3 light music player's advantage over a grade 4 player's in piobaireachd, more experience and that is all. Why? Piobaireachd is a different style, different embellishments, and different expectations.
                -Bag control?
                -lip stamina?
                -performance experience?
                -tuning skills?
                -less tension in the hands?
                Even if the idiom is totally different, the higher graded soloist will have tremendous advantages over a more novice player surely?
                An Píob Mhór Ghaelach * Seán Pádraig Ó Treasaigh

Comment

Originally posted by bog-standard View Post
                  -Bag control?
                  -lip stamina?
                  -performance experience?
                  -tuning skills?
                  -less tension in the hands?
                  Even if the idiom is totally different, the higher graded soloist will have tremendous advantages over a more novice player surely?
                  Well that's exactly what I think, then there's the psychological pressure on the novice players knowing that your up against this.

Comment

It sucks, but you can't worry about the other guy. There is always going to be someone better. Play as best you can, you'll get there...

At least, that's my working theory. (excuse?)

Good luck.

Matt
                    "Don't think; it can only hurt the ball club." Crash Davis

Comment

Fair enough! Guess I'll have to play better and with more confidence next year! It is a pretty easy competition really.

Comment

That does seem backwards. Ah well...I think you're a better piper for tackling piobaireachd along with light music, instead of waiting.
                        Jennifer C

Comment

Originally posted by bonnieprinceandy View Post
                          Turns out that even if you're a grade one light music competitor you can still enter in the novice piobaireachd here. Not very encouraging for a grade 4 piper!
                          That's just beyond stoopid. You should be able to play piob up if you have the chops, but never down... for all of the reasons bog standard mentioned. You might was well call it an open class... calling it G4 and letting G1 players compete in the class is ridiculous.
                          Cheers, Tripp

Denver Bagpipe Lessons Skype Bagpipe Lessons

Comment

They're playing at their level, believe it or not. If they are playing above the grade, the sheets will marked as such and the society bumps the player.

I hear ya on the problem. But I don't think anyone's cherry-picking for the Novice piob award.

Comment

Maybe not

But the higher grade is taking away the basket that the novice can put his/her cherries in !!! ;-)

Johnnie

Comment

Working...
                              X