Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PPBSO letting Gr 3 light music players compete in Gr Piob comps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PPBSO letting Gr 3 light music players compete in Gr Piob comps!

Personally, I'm a fan of having piobaireachd as a separate grading system from light music, and I wish they would implement it here in the EUSPBA. Technical ability aside, piobaireachd is a very different animal from light music, and demands a different skillset musically. Not everyone who plays light music well plays piobaireachd well, and visa-versa. To me it's unfair to require a player play higher-level piobaireachd simply because they're an accomplished light music player, and if the player is kept back in the lower grade because their piobaireachd isn't up to par, it's unfair to the others in the grade in the light music events. The inverse is also true.

And what of those who are simply not interested in competing in piobaireachd? Or those who are not interested in competing in light music? A separate grade would allow for those who are only interested in competing in one or the other to grow and flourish in that area, and would allow for more even pacing in the grades for those who do both IMHO.
    kaypiob
    Holy smoking keyboard!
    Last edited by kaypiob; 08-28-2012, 08:59 AM.
    https://harperbagpipes.com/

Comment

I have a piobaireachd grade but no light music grade in my home association. I'm allowed to play up one grade which is nice. I like the extra crit sheet and not just showing up for one event. I wish more associations would let you play up in piobaireachd. I'd start travelling to compete. The only light music I play is Hornpipes and Jigs. It's mostly an exercise in keeping clean fingering and strong gracenotes. I think if you're just starting on piobaireachd the lowest you should be allowed to play down is a grade. I don't think it's fair to have a grade one light music player mixed in with with grade four or grade three players. They've likely got a lot more going for them in terms of technique, blowing, and tuning.

Comment

Years ago I talked to Ed Neigh about the separate grading from light music to the piob. In the conversation, he pointed out that many people who come to compete in their older years don't do so well in the light.

Not surprising.

But many players - old or young - in the piob they can do very well. Some handle the MSRs with ease, but the piob is tough. And vice-versa. In many situations, the older folks (including those that started late) find the piob is easier to handle - musically - than the light. Kids have a hard time with the piob. Too slow. Not enough going on. Don't really have anything to express.

Thus the different systems.

So some kids with grade 2 fingers are playing novice, but at the heart of the matter: the music is different. And some get it and some don't.

And that's why you might compete against a higher grade light music player in a lower grade piob. You can beat that player.

Scott
        Chairman Mao
        Holy smoking keyboard!
        Last edited by Chairman Mao; 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chairman Mao View Post
          And that's why you might compete against a higher grade light music player in a lower grade piob. You can beat that player.

Scott
          Well, I'm with you on this one...

Comment

Working...
          X