Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grade 3 or 4???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade 3 or 4???

Heres my question, being a newbie Piper as well as a Piobaireachd Piper Grade 4 Beginner, I guess I just dont understand, but how can an individual compete in level 3 and above in all other areas, but then turn around and compete as a Grade 4 Beginner Piobaireachd? This happened this past weekend and it really flamed me a bit, i mean im a new piper but it would seem to me theresd a disadvantage involved. Especially when all they are doing is playing the Ground and Variation 1. Dont you think?

Re: Grade 3 or 4???

I don't see how you could compete in more than one grade, unless your association's rules allow for it.

Is it possible the piper was just playing for comments in the lower grade?

Comment

Interesting that you should raise this question, as I'm struggling with a similar issue. This year I competed in Gr4 and did quite well, so expect to compete in Gr3 next year; however, I only competed in the light music categories and did not compete in piobaireachd and have never had any formal instruction (in piob). Next year I'd like to begin getting tutored in piobaireachd and may elect to compete, but will obviously be at a significant disadvantage compared with other Gr3 pipers who have played and competed piob in Gr4. But I frankly didn't even think that playing down a grade was allowed. Interested to see other opinions on this.
      Long Beach Pipe Band
      Long Beach, CA

Comment

This other thread might be worth a read as well since it seems to deal with the same topic: http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...d.php?t=146824

My association (MWPBA) has different grading for piob and light music, and it seems fairly common for a player to be 1 grade higher in one than the other. Sometimes they are higher in LM, and sometimes higher in piob.

As a drummer I can't really say for sure, but it seems that the two types of music are sufficiently different as to warrant two parallel grading structures.

Comment

It kinda sucks but it is what it is. Just focus on playing your best... that's the only thing you can really control anyways. Remember, you can not place and still get rated Above Grade Level... and that's the most important metric to watch anyways. I won the G3 jig at the Elizabeth Celtic games... doesn't mean much since I was the only competitor in the event (at least I didn't break down)! I'd have traded that 1st for an AGL in a heartbeat.
          Cheers, Tripp

Denver Bagpipe Lessons Skype Bagpipe Lessons

Comment

In my home association you can have a different grade for light music and piobaireachd. You can also play up one grade so long as you're entered in all the events for your grade. I don't think it something awful to be playing against a light music player with a higher light music grade than their piobaireachd grade. I've beat grade two light music players when I was in intermediate piobaireachd(grade two and three) contests. It wasn't because they broke down either.
            If you want to improve and eventually win it's actually better to play against higher graded players. I've always played up for that reason. Placing in the higher grade has always meant more to me than getting a first in my actual grade. To be honest I'm usually more interested in the crit sheet than the medals.

Comment

Working...
            X