Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euspba upgrade question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euspba upgrade question...

I was curious from anyone recently upgraded.( in the lower grades ie 4 to 3) Is filling out the upgrade sheet sufficient? In the past I have heard about instructor letters, but the sheet only requests a signature, with the instructor checking off yes or no.

Also, when pleading one's case what type of things does one write about themselves?? Thanks.
    "Always stand on principle....even if you stand alone." -- John Quincy Adams

Re: Euspba upgrade question...

For my 4 to 3 upgrade, I summarized my year performance, mentioning the trend toward higher and consistent placing at the end of the year. I had my band Pipe major sign the form. I also referenced my instructor and former instructor as references should they be needed.

Your record should speak for itself, but I do know of a piper I respect greatly who has not been upgraded despite a stellar competition record. Get the references.

Comment

Interesting how the different associations do things... good luck with it! Here in WUSPBA, I think it's mainly based on the instructor's recommendation.
      Cheers, Tripp

Denver Bagpipe Lessons Skype Bagpipe Lessons

Comment

Originally posted by Tripp View Post
        Interesting how the different associations do things... good luck with it! Here in WUSPBA, I think it's mainly based on the instructor's recommendation.
        WUSPBA, unlike the other associations, allows soloists to choose their own grade. There is no upgrade request form I have seen. Of course, if one is not playing at or near the standard for that grade, judges can-- and do--comment accordingly on the scoresheet.
        It is advisable to head into an oncoming storm, as the bow is the strongest part of the ship.

Comment

Shouldn't the decision to upgrade come from the judges you compete for?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post
            Shouldn't the decision to upgrade come from the judges you compete for?
            Sometimes it does, explicitly. Sometimes it is hinted by receiving quite a few AGL (Above Grade Level) marks on scoresheets. Sometimes a piper will win one or two events and believe themselves ready for upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X