Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

466 Chanter for Solo Comp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 466 Chanter for Solo Comp?

Originally posted by Spectra4a View Post
    Hmmm.. well maybe I'll just have to have a whack at it... Whats the worse that could happen.. not placing?
    If you have two chanters try them both, that'll really flabbergast the judges.
    Never pick a fight with a guy in a skirt, especially when he has 699 friends, all in skirts.

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

Comment

Originally posted by Spectra4a View Post
      Hmmm.. well maybe I'll just have to have a whack at it... Whats the worse that could happen.. not placing?
      Well done!

Comment

I'm not up on my chanter technology but I have the lower pitched Dunbar Elite and depending on the reed I have had it at 468 / 476 and I like the less abrasive sound. In that range I can still tune out of the hemp with the pitch screws bottomed out.
        John Bolt

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink

Comment

I was thumbing through William Donaldson's big book yesterday. I found an interesting comment about chanter from around 1900. The pitch among competitors was varied. They were complaining about how modern chanters were too sharp because of pipe bands. Looks like we've been complaining about the same thing for a hundred years.

Comment

Well, as soon as you start comparing instruments to each other, there will be people who work out the psychoacoustic effects of relative pitch.

Indeed, prior to the introduction in the 19th century of reproducible methods of measuring pitch, pitch creep was the norm, and instruments would become sharper and sharper until the altos couldn't take it any more. Then pitch would drop a semitone or so and it would all start over again.
            http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
            -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by colinmaclellan View Post

If it's properly in tune, and if the sound body and quality is nice,
              No matter what the pitch, I would keep referring to Colin's words here

Comment

Working...
              X