Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good tuning slow airs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tuning slow airs

What slow airs do you play while settling the pipes and doing some final tuning for solo competitions?

Re: Good tuning slow airs

I always play either "Coulter's Candy" or the hymn: "O For a Closer Walk with God" when warming-up on the boards. Both tunes cover the piping scale and help to calm my piping energies.
    www.wjhmusic.com

Comment

I like playing the first part of Moonstar slowly. Get that nice A-D-F-A, A-C-E-A in the beginning to judge the balance of the chanter.

Comment

I like "The Waters of Kylesku" for a tuning piece.

It has all the chanter notes as well as a high g that is long enough
        to evaluate the interaction with the drones..
        Variables keep me up at night ;Q
        http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...tle/mug4-1.jpg

Comment

A piob variation might put judges in a better frame of mind

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Huth View Post
            A piob variation might put judges in a better frame of mind
            Not only that, they are simply good for tuning in general. You generally hold the notes for much longer than in a normal tune (even slow airs), so it's easier to hear the individual notes vs. the drones....

Comment

I like Lament for Rory Mor, just a nice tune in general

Comment

I find My Home to be a good tune for tuning and getting comfortable.
                Never sacrifice clarity for speed

Comment

Loch Rannoch is a good one. Quarter notes throughout, very calming to play, and easy to listen to drones.
                  "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
                    I like Lament for Rory Mor, just a nice tune in general
                    excellent choice
                    An Píob Mhór Ghaelach * Seán Pádraig Ó Treasaigh

Comment

In addition to a piobaireachd, Going Home really lets me blow down and hear if i am in tune then The Fern Waltz once I feel I am in tune. It hits all the Arpeggios...
                      "A man looks down a dark tunnel he must walk, and sees no light and the end of it. It is at that moment that his character is revealed."

Comment

Donald Ross or Bells of Dunblane - either way, I'd do as little tuning up as possible in front of a judge/audience. You're there to perform, not to piss about.

I'm sure the top players only do it to steady the nerves and ready themselves.

Do everything you can to sort out the sound BEFORE you step foot outside the tuning area.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewSlater View Post
                          Donald Ross or Bells of Dunblane - either way, I'd do as little tuning up as possible in front of a judge/audience. You're there to perform, not to piss about.

I'm sure the top players only do it to steady the nerves and ready themselves.

Do everything you can to sort out the sound BEFORE you step foot outside the tuning area.
                          Absolutely brilliant - it needed saying

Comment

Agreed.

But..I have never been able to warm up my pipes to the point my drones did not to need a final tweaking just before stepping off.

My middle tenor in particular always needs to be re-tuned once the bass has been struck in.

Then again..I only compete Gr3 solo.

David NY
                            "A man looks down a dark tunnel he must walk, and sees no light and the end of it. It is at that moment that his character is revealed."

Comment

I wasn't saying that tuning should not take place on the platform by any means. Too many pipers 'over tune' and the instrument ends up worse than when they first struck up. Whatever you play as your tuning phrases, they should be effective for what you are trying to do - settle the instrument and make any final adjustments which are required due to the change in environment from the tuning area.

As far as the middle tenor always requiring re-tuning "once the bass has been struck in" - this will always be an issue to some extent if you are stopping the bass rather than tuning all three at once or, only stopping one or other of the tenors in tuning.

Comment

Working...
                              X