Questions, issues, or discussions specifically related to Piping and Pipers competition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piobreachd in different grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piobreachd in different grade

I have been competing in light music for many years now and am just now starting to play piobreachd. I am grade 1 in solo but I don't think i am up to that level in piobreachd. Am I allowed to play in, say grade 3, for at least critique? I am in WUSPBA.

Thanks.

Re: Piobreachd in different grade

At least in the EUSPBA I don't think that is possible. You have one grade and that's that. Maybe if you talk to an individual judge they'd be willing to write you a critique if they have time depending on how big the field is, but I doubt you'd be able to officially register for an event in a lower grade.

Comment

If it was me I would not want to put myself before a judge playing one event at a grade three level with another at grade 1. Next week the same judge might be judging some other event and have a memory of your lower performance. So on that basis I would think a reasonable plan would be to focus on piobaireachd, if you desire to compete with it, and bring it up to the same standard as the rest of your piping.

Best wishes.

Comment

Unfortunately, you'd be required to play your piobaireachd in Grade 1 as well. WUSPBA competitors must play their piobaireachd in the same grade, with one exception. If no Grade 4 piobaireachd is offered at a contest, a Grade 4 player may compete in Grade 3 piobaireachd under Grade 3 rules.

Personally, I'd probably be inclined to compete in your grade and just take your lumps versus a critique. Just make sure you are getting proper instruction in piobaireachd, then your instructor can give you your critiques.

Andrew
        (WUSPBA Executive Secretary)
        Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
        BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Thanks.
          Grade 1 it is then.. More tunes to learn.

Comment

I thought you were playing in a G1 band now....aren't they giving you enough work to keep you busy?

Comment

Piobaireachd is a different animal. I've never understood why it can't have its own grading system.
              https://harperbagpipes.com/

Comment

Working...
              X