For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What IYO is the best piobaireachd teaching package or book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IYO is the best piobaireachd teaching package or book

Hi
    After watching the Glenfiddich and particularly the piobaireachd section, I have finally started to appreciate the music whereas before it was something that did not really interest me. I had already started to learn some of the movements but am keen to get a better grip of it and maybe even learn a tune or two. In the absence of a tutor, what would you consider to be a good teaching aid for someone to begin with. Any pointers towards books, online courses or materials would be appreciated.
    Paddy

Re: What IYO is the best piobaireachd teaching package or book

The National Piping Centre Highland Bagpipe Piobaireachd Tutor Book

Also, the book has recordings available for each of its parts.

Another absolute must have is Piobaireachd Fingerwork: Instruction in Piobaireachd Technique for the Highland Bagpipe by Jim McGillivray. It also comes with recordings.

tomm
    Last edited by Tom MacKenzie; 11-05-2020, 06:50 AM.
    [email protected]

Comment

I agree with Tom.
      I happen to own almost everything ever published about piobaireachd, including everything published by the Piobaireachd Society. But to be honest, I almost always go to my Kilberry Book of Ceol Mor when I'm looking for a tune...

Comment

Many thanks for the responses. These have now been added to my Christmas list and finally the kids might stop moaning about not knowing what to get me. In truth though I am tempted to get at least one of them before Christmas whilst the enthusiasm is high
        Paddy

Comment

The Piping Centre offers on line teaching. Even the best books can only take you so far. There are so many subtleties you can easily go astray without a teacher.
          Cha de\an a' phluic a'phiobaireachd

Comment

Originally posted by John Dally View Post
            The Piping Centre offers on line teaching. Even the best books can only take you so far. There are so many subtleties you can easily go astray without a teacher.
            I agree. I realize that it may be tiresome to hear "Get an instructor"; but anyone serious about playing piobaireachd can benefit from recordings (and, by the way, check out James Barrie's with his father singing). But the nuances John references really needs an expert's guidance. In person is best; but online works, too. Good hunting!

Comment

Another vote for Jim McGillivray's book. The way he logically breaks down complex gracenote movements into sub-components, and then slowly puts them back together a bit at a time leading up to playing the full movement at full speed, is brilliant.
              Also, get hold of as many recordings of good pibroch playing as you can, and when you find ones you want to learn, listen to those recordings over and over and over.

Neil

Comment

https://www.pipereeds.com/piobaireac...-by-colin.html

A wonderful resource by Colin MacLellan.

Comment

Working...
                X